How Graphics Can Improve Your Photo's Message

Improve your photo by adding simple graphics.

The photo I am working on today is a poor quality photo that I took with my phone while working on a project. The lighting conditions were poor and the composition wasn't much better. I initially published a tutorial using the original poor quality photo. The photo was an important part of the tutorial I prepared which demonstrated the technique I used for painting a laminated dresser. The number of page views increased dramatically after I republished my tutorial with changes to the photo.


Comparison of the original photo with the final design. The changes dramatically increased my page views.

Usually a few simple adjustments to the exposure will usually help improve a photo, but nothing seemed to help with this one. So to keep the photo but improve the message, I added text and graphics. Although the quality of the photo itself doesn't improve, the graphics save the day by giving the viewer sufficient information about the subject at a glance. (You can use any photo editing software, but for this photo I used PicMonkey.)

LET'S TAKE A LOOK AT HOW MY DESIGN EVOLVED:

The subject of the photo is the importance of using a very thin first coat of paint. With the paintbrush in the foreground the subject is obviously about painting, but without further information the message itself isn't 100% clear.
The photo's subject is not clear.

The initial text I added helps the viewer see at a glance that the photo is not only about painting, but showing the difference between the first and second coats of paint. The font is easy to read, but I felt it was too plain and didn't add visual interest to the photo.

Adding text helps but it still needs something more.

So next I changed the font to script. The script is not as easy to read as the previous font, but it adds a little more fluidity and movement to the photo. But it still needs something more to provide more information about the subject.

The photo is better but still doesn't provide enough information to the viewer.

Next I rotated the text to follow the paint lines. Then I added a pink graphic wreath with additional text to the upper right corner of the photo.

Changing the font and rotation and adding a colorful graphic help clarify the subject.

The color choice of the graphic plays an important role and also impacts the final design:

The color choice of the graphic plays an important role and also impacts the final design.


Ultimately I chose pink because it coordinated with the staging that I used in my finished project of the tutorial:

The pink graphic coordinated with the other photos in my tutorial.

The final step was to add a small frame to focus more closely on the area of the photo that shows the difference between the first and second coats.

Both the subject and focal point are clear.

Below is a visual recap of the evolution of my graphic design:

Using the right graphics can give your viewer both information and focus at a glance.

I hope you found the information provided today helpful. Thanks for stopping by The Black Sheep Shoppe.

Comments

Visit Me on Pinterest!

Popular Posts