Crochet Harvest Moon: Finished!

My Harvest Moon blanket project is finished! It's off my hook and ready for snuggling! All I can say is: Wow! What a fantastic journey it was! 

Harvest Moon crochet blanket is finished!

I worked on the project, as time permitted, over the course of four months. The final rounds were the most time consuming because there were so many stitches in each round. (HINT: If you're here just for the photos you can click on any photo to open a gallery view and skip the text and ads.)

Amazing handmade crochet blanket!
Amazing handmade crochet blanket!

I imagined taking amazing photos of the finished blanket, but that's easier said than done due to the size of the finished project and limited spaces in my house to photograph it with sufficient light. Nevertheless I think the photos I am sharing today will give you a feel for the finished product.

Handmade crochet blanket.
Handmade crochet blanket.

The yarn I used is an aran weight cotton which is so soft and warm. The blanket is quite heavy, so it's definitely not for the warm summer nights, but will work perfectly when the weather turns cooler. 

Handmade blanket perfect for cold winter nights.
Handmade blanket perfect for cold winter nights.

The Harvest Moon pattern was designed by Jen Tyler of The Floral Hook. Her crochet design style is unique and offers lots of dimension and textures. The cost of the pattern was nominal and includes a written pattern as well as video instruction. I found I needed to use both during the project, but I ended up leaning heavily on the video instruction rather than the written pattern. The skill level described for the pattern is an adventurous beginner or intermediate.

Intricate crochet blanket pattern.
Intricate crochet blanket pattern.

I wanted a project that would challenge me and engage my mind. Some of the rounds were a bit tricky, but I would replay the section of the video a time or two, and it all came together.

Challenging but do-able crochet pattern.
Challenging but do-able crochet pattern.

Throughout the project I was very selective of the colors used for each round. But in the final section my color choice was determined by the quantity of the colors that I had remaining. Luckily I think it all worked out beautifully.

Soft pastels with pops of bright colors.
Soft pastels with pops of bright colors.

PATTERN INFORMATION:

I purchased the pattern on Ravelry. The pattern has four parts total. Parts 1 and 2 is the Harvest Moon Block which creates a square that can be made as a stand alone project for a pillow or bag. Parts 3 and 4 are the "extensions" or border, shown in the photo below, which extend the square into a blanket. (Links are not affiliates.)

Luscious crochet!
Luscious crochet!

The final round consisted of creating independent bobbles around the border of the blanket. I was running low on yarn at this point, so I alternated the colors of the bobbles. Half were made using dark turquoise.

The final round is finished with bobbles!
Bobbles!

The other half were made using yellow. Luckily I had enough of each color to complete the round!

The final rounds of Harvest Moon crochet.
The final rounds of Harvest Moon crochet.

I also wanted to show you the back of the blanket. I think it's beautiful, too! 

The back of the blanket.
The back of the blanket.

Thank you for following along with my crochet project! I hope you enjoyed the journey. Maybe it's inspired you to give it a try? If so, please leave a comment below or send me a quick note via email at TheBlackSheepShoppe@gmail.com. I would love to hear from you.

Harvest Moon crochet blanket folded.
Harvest Moon crochet blanket folded.

That concludes my Harvest Moon crochet project! Keeps scrolling below if you are interested in seeing the various articles of the journey . . .


Granny Magic Studio is the fiber art side of The Black Sheep Shoppe

SEE THE PROGRESS:

Join me for a recap of this amazing crochet journey!
This project was an AMAZING crochet journey!

The links below will take you to my articles chronicling the progress I made along the way for this project:

PART 1: THE BEGINNING!

PART 2: Creating the square

PART 3: Working at the beach.

PART 4: So many popcorns!

COLORWAY:

Colors used (Drops Paris): Blush, Light Ice Blue, Off White, Light Mint Green, Light Turquoise, Medium Pink, Peach, Vanilla, Wasabi, Baby Pink, and Dark Turquoise.

QUANTITY OF YARN:  PLEASE NOTE THIS IS NOT EXACT! This is what I ordered from Wool Warehouse, BUT I already had some of the colors leftover from other projects. During this project I used up some of the colors ordered and other colors I still had some left (see Sampler Crochet Baby Blankets article here). It will also depend on the order you use the colors during your project. Refer to the designer's website for specific quantities that you will need.

ItemSkuQty
Drops Paris - Blush (20) - 50gDR.PARIS.20.0351-115
Drops Paris - Light Ice Blue (29) - 50gDR.PARIS.29.041915
Drops Paris - Off White (17) - 50gDR.PARIS.17.BT00215
Drops Paris - Light Mint Green (21) - 50gDR.PARIS.21.06147
Drops Paris - Light Turquoise (02) - 50gDR.PARIS.02.07067
Drops Paris - Medium Pink (33) - 50gDR.PARIS.33.02787
Drops Paris - Peach (27) - 50gDR.PARIS.27.02784
Drops Paris - Vanilla (35) - 50gDR.PARIS.35.07064
Drops Paris - Wasabi (39) - 50gDR.PARIS.39.08304
Drops Paris - Baby Pink (57) - 50gDR.PARIS.57.0393-14
Drops Paris - Dark Turquoise (10) - 50gDR.PARIS.10.0393-14

And just because I love a good "before and after" photo:

Crochet blanket before and after.
Crochet blanket before and after.

Comments

  1. Absolutely gorgeous be proud !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the colors you have chosen. How did you know how much yarn of each color to buy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I mostly guessed how much I would need. I know that's not helpful really. I added a copy of my invoice to the bottom of the article in the section "Quantity of Yarn", but it's not exact because I had some additional skeins on hand already. I used up some of the colors and other colors I had leftover yarn. But it might be useful as a guide. Also I waited until the yarn was on sale before I made my purchase. Check the designer website for more help with determining quantity. Good luck!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Select the NOTIFY ME box to receive a notification of a reply to your comment (yes, I do try to acknowledge all comments). There might be a publishing delay on older posts as they are moderated to reduce spam.

Visit Me on Pinterest!

Popular Posts