Sampler Crochet Baby Blankets

I planned to crochet a sampler-style baby blanket with my stash of leftover yarn. I finished the blanket and still had some yarn left. I wasn't sure if it was enough for a second blanket, or if I could pull off the color combinations, but SPOILER ALERT, it worked out quite well I think! So instead of one blanket today, I am featuring two blankets! The blankets are similar, but by changing the color pattern, each blanket is unique.

Leftover yarn scraps

These are not traditional baby colors of soft pastels, but babies love all things bright and colorful, so I hope these will be well loved. I plan to donate the blankets to a local charity.

(Yarn and a link to the free pattern are available at the end of the article. If you're just here for the pictures, you can double click on any picture to open the photo gallery and avoid the ads.)

BABY SAMPLER BLANKET #1:

Here is the first blanket folded.

Folded baby blanket.
Folded baby blanket.

I unfurled the blanket to reveal the multitude of colors!

Colorful crochet baby blanket.
Colorful crochet baby blanket.

The pattern is made up of specialty stitches with double crochets and half double crochets in between. Below you can see the granny stripe in purple and pink, orange bobbles against a pink background, and a chevron ripple in blue and pink.

Crochet blanket with bright colors.
Crochet blanket with bright colors.

One of the Catherine Wheel stitches is shown below in pink and yellow.

Crochet pattern with specialty stitches.
This pattern is good for beginners to learn new stitches.

Another Catherine Wheel is shown in peach and green. Also the granny stripe in pink and blue, as well as a chevron ripple in blue and bright pink.

Sampler style crochet blanket.
Sampler style crochet blanket.

The leftover yarn I used is 100% cotton and has a beautiful drape. The colorful blanket is perfect for "tummy time" for babies.

So many pretty colors for baby!
So many pretty colors for baby!

BABY SAMPLER BLANKET #2:

I wasn't sure if I had enough yarn for a second blanket, but I decided to give it a try. My color choices were dwindling, but overall I am pleased with the outcome. The photo below is about halfway through the blanket with most of my remaining color choices of yarn (there are a few bits and pieces off-camera).

The second blanket is halfway finished.
The second blanket is halfway finished.

The folded blanket features granny stripes in light blue and turquoise.

Granny stripes in blue and turqoise.
Granny stripes in blue and turqoise.

I tweaked the folds so you can begin to see the other colors peeking through. The star stitch was worked in a light mint green, surrounded by bright pink followed by a pop of bright yellow.

Star stitch in mint green.
Star stitch in mint green.

I unfurled the second blanket to reveal the full pattern. The main colors I had to work with for the second blanket were light blue, dark blue, mint green, medium pink, and bright pink. I filled in the other rows with bits and pieces of other colors.

Crochet blanket with bright colors.
Crochet blanket with bright colors.

There are two sets of Catherine Wheels in this blanket. I used the same colors for each, but I reversed the order. One is dark blue and pink, and the other is pink and dark blue.

Catherine Wheels in dark blue and pink.
Catherine Wheels in dark blue and pink.

The bobbles on this section of the blanket are white against a pink background. The Chevron Ripple is mint green and pink.
Crochet bobbles in white against a pink background.
Crochet bobbles in white against a pink background.

For each of the blankets I set aside one skein of dark blue to complete two rows of single crochet for the border. I finished the border in a picot stitch in white for contrast.

Border in dark blue with a white picot stitch.
Border in dark blue with a white picot stitch.

Here are the two blankets next to each other. So many fun colors!

Two crochet baby blankets using leftover yarns.
Two crochet baby blankets using leftover yarns.

PATTERN INFORMATION:

If you would like to make a similar blanket I have great news for you: The pattern is FREE, yeah! The name of the pattern is "As We Go Stripey Blanket" and it was designed by Hannah at Not Your Average Crochet (no affiliate).  And the colors are totally customizable based on your individual preference.

Hannah explains that the size of the blanket can be customized by chaining multiples of 24 + 2. For the baby blanket I chained 122 (24 x 5 + 2). I ended the blanket after row 78.

This isn't my first rodeo with this pattern. In fact it's one of my favorites which I crochet frequently! You can see some of my other completed projects HERE and HERE. Both of the other projects will show you how different the blanket can look utilizing various colors. It's especially good for beginners as it will provide experience learning new stitches.

YARN USED:

The main yarn I used is Drops Paris in a variety of colors leftover from other projects. For the picot border I used Scheepjes Stonewashed in the color moonstone.

Granny Magic Studio is the fiber art side of The Black Sheep Shoppe

Comments

Visit Me on Pinterest!

Popular Posts