What's on my Crochet Hook: Progress Part 2 of Harvest Moon

My progress on the Harvest Moon crochet pattern (designed by Jen Tyler) continues to grow. This is where I left off when I first introduced my project to you (click HERE to read the beginning).

Crocheting a square border around a circle.

I finished round 26 using the color wasabi green. I do love the color, but am not sure if I am happy with my placement.

Round 26 of crochet pattern Harvest Moon completed.
Round 26 of crochet pattern Harvest Moon completed.

But just look at the dimension and texture the blanket has so far!

The Harvest Moon crochet pattern has lots of texture and dimension.
The Harvest Moon crochet pattern has lots of texture and dimension.

I still can't decide about the wasabi green, so I haven't sewn in the ends at this point in case I decide to replace it with another color. I will need to decide after I complete Round 27, which is worked seperately and then attached afterwards.

Beautiful crochet colorway chosen for Hunter Moon pattern.
Beautiful crochet colorway with pink stitch marker.

Round 27 is made up of 20 separate squares which are later joined together to make a frame that will fit around Round 26.

Starting Round 27 of Harvest Moon crochet pattern.
Starting Round 27 of Harvest Moon crochet pattern.

I initially planned to make all my squares using the same colors. But I quickly got bored, so I decided to make the four corners in a different color pattern. I still have eight more squares to crochet at this point. It's a bit repetitive, but it's actually an easy part of the project.

Round 27 requires making 20 floral squares.
Round 27 requires making 20 floral squares.

So many flowers! I love how cheerful they are.

OMG I just love all the crocheted flowers!
OMG I just love all the crocheted flowers!

I have completed all the 20 squares and will begin to join them together into a large square frame utilizing the puff stitch. I am still unsure about the green from Round 26, but I need to make a decision soon.

I am still undecided about my color choices.
I am still undecided about my color choices.

It's decision time! There are no right or wrong decisions here, so I decided to leave the wasabi green on Round 26 just to keep my project moving forward. But instead of attaching the floral frame on the wrong side as the pattern dictates, I am using mint green to slip stitch the border to the right side of my work. I think it tones down the brighter green and blends a little better. I went up a hook size so it wouldn't pull.

Crochet slip stitch join.
Crochet slip stitch join.

I also used the mint green to join my flower squares together using a puff stitch. In hindsight, I wish I had used mint green on Round 26 and wasabi for the puff joins. I don't think my puff join has enough contrast. But I'm not going back, so I will just enjoy what I have made so far instead.

Crochet hook used to join the project with a slip stitch.
Crochet hook used to join the project with a slip stitch.

Here is a close up of Rounds 26 and 27 joined together:

Rounds 26 and 27 joined together with a slip stitch join.
Rounds 26 and 27 joined together with a slip stitch join.

TAKING A BREAK:

I did take a break and went on vacation to sunny Key West, Florida for a week. I didn't bring my crochet since I travelled via the airlines. I won't bore you with a bunch of vacation photos, but here's a small collage of some photos:

I took a crochet break and went on vacation to Key West FL.
Visiting Key West FL without my crochet!

BACK HOME:

But I looked forward to returning home to continue working on my Harvest Moon crochet project! I quickly and happily got back to work and have at this point completed Part 2.

Round 31 of Part 2 of Harvest Moon completed.
Round 31 of Part 2 of Harvest Moon completed.

I've finished Part 2 of the pattern and started on Part 3 which is officially called "The Extension". The companion videos to the pattern are VERY helpful. Though I admit I struggled a lot with round 32 despite the excellent video instructions! User error I suppose. Nevertheless I persevered and I think I got it right. I'm not 100% confident, so I don't plan on sewing in ends until I get to Round 39 or so. I am currently just ready to begin Round 35.

Beginning Part 3 of Harvest Moon Extension.
Beginning Part 3 of Harvest Moon Extension.

Speaking of sewing in ends, if you don't like that aspect of crochet, then this pattern isn't for you! I personally don't mind. Well mostly don't mind. But it's worth it for this project!  My vase for trim pieces is quite full now. But I can squish it down and make room for more scraps. It will be fun to see if I can fit all the clipped yarn ends into the vase.

Vase used to collect yarn scraps from crochet project.
Vase used to collect yarn scraps from crochet project.

EDIT: When I first published this article I called the pattern Hunters Moon. I'm not sure where that came from, but the correct title is HARVEST MOON.

Thanks for following along my crochet journey. If you're a fellow crocheter I would love to hear what pattern you are working on.

UPDATE: I finished the blanket! You can see the finished project HERE!

Granny Magic Studio is the fiber art side of The Black Sheep Shoppe
This post was published by
The Black Sheep Shoppe (me) on behalf of Granny Magic Studio (also me).

Comments

Visit Me on Pinterest!

Popular Posts