Chalk Painted Armoire. 5 Years Later!

How did chalk paint hold up after 5 years?

I can't believe it's been five years since I painted my armoire! Are you curious about how chalk paint holds up over the years? Keep reading . . . but first let's take a quick look back in time to the original armoire. 

TV armoire before chalk paint.
TV armoire before chalk paint.

Here's the "after" from five years ago in my former home. (You can read the original post HERE which includes the step-by-step painting process that I used.)

Painted armoire five years ago.
Painted armoire five years ago.

FIVE YEARS LATER!

I am happy to report that the chalk painted finish has held up wonderfully to daily use as well as a move from one house to another. 

Chalk painted armoire five years later.
Chalk painted armoire five years later.

And by "daily use" I mean we open and close the doors and drawers on a daily basis. So nothing too rough! The top half of the armoire holds our television. The bottom portion of the cabinet holds my paints and supplies.

The chalk paint held up beautifully to daily use.
The chalk painted finish held up beautifully to daily use.

CARING FOR CHALK PAINTED FURNITURE

I originally sealed the chalk painted finish with clear wax. Throughout the years I've cleaned it mainly with a swiffer duster or a damp microfiber cloth. I don't use harsh cleaners, however, I do use sanitizer wipes on the metal handles.

Below is a link to the actual microfiber cloths I purchased on Amazon. I like this packet of cloths because it has a variety of colors. I designate specific colors to zones of the house. For instance, blue for the bathrooms, yellow for the kitchen, white for furniture. I do wash them of course, but still I don't want to use a cloth that was used in the bathroom in my kitchen. So it's easy to keep track by using a color system. When the cloths wear out I use them as rags.


DOES A WAX FINISH REQUIRE MAINTENANCE?

I use a microfiber cloth to dust the cabinet.
Caring for a chalk painted finish.

The wax finish has held up just fine and I have never had to re-seal it. However, the armoire does not sit in direct sunlight, but if it did it might need to be resealed periodically. Also heavier use items (such as a table top) might need periodic maintenance. (I actually put polycrylic on the tops of dressers and tables for added durability.)

Armoire with a chalk painted finish.
Armoire with a chalk painted finish.

I have no regrets about painting this piece and am very pleased with it even five years later. 

Cabinet pulls on chalk painted armoire.
Cabinet pulls on chalk painted armoire.

I have sold most of my painted furniture pieces (you can see many of them in my gallery HERE), but I have some others that I kept either for personal use or for use at my oceanfront rental. A couple of pieces at the rental didn't hold up as well, so I will try to capture photos on my next visit and show you how I deal with repairs and touch ups.

Comments

Post a Comment

Select the NOTIFY ME box to receive a notification of a reply to your comment (yes, I do try to acknowledge all comments). There might be a publishing delay on older posts as they are moderated to reduce spam.

Visit Me on Pinterest!

Popular Posts