Blog Post 310: Vintage Clothing Hamper

Today I'll share my secret for using white wax without creating a blotchy mess. But first let me introduce my vintage clothing hamper! This is another piece that I brought back from my condo in NC. It is a vintage clothing hamper that was used to store extra comforters in the guest bedroom. The comforters were no longer needed, so we donated them to a local charity.

Makeover alert! Learn how to paint over vinyl.

Overall the hamper is in good condition with the exception of a few dings here and there, but I found the brown vinyl a little dark for my taste.

Don't let a dark brown vinyl get you down. It's easy to brighten up with paint.

I painted the exterior vinyl Greek Blue. The color ended up being a little too bright and bold for my taste, so I softened the color with white wax. There's a trick when working with White Wax (the brand I used is Annie Sloan but an alternative in the US is the brand "Jolie"). The white wax is smoother and more subtle than dark wax. When I work with dark wax I use the less-is-more technique. But when I use white wax I do the opposite. So first I apply a generous amount of white wax. Normally if you were using clear wax you would wipe away the excess at this point, but hold on and don't wipe it off just yet (otherwise it will disappear)!

Follow these steps to achieve a beautiful white wax finish. First apply a generous amount of white wax.

So instead of wiping away the white wax, I use a brush to distribute and blend the white wax, adding more as needed to achieve the look I want. But be patient and don't wipe away the excess just yet!

Use a brush to distribute and blend the white wax. Add more as needed.

Once I am happy with the look of the white wax, I let it set for about an hour or so, and then I use a lint free cloth to wipe away any excess and buff the remaining wax.

Today I am sharing my secret of how to achieve a beautiful finish with white wax.

These are the lint free cloths I use for removing excess wax and buffing. (I also have a separate set for cleaning around the house.)

AFTER:

I love the bright blue color now that it is softened with white wax. I don't have a link to Greek Blue, but you can purchase the same formula in the US using the Jolie paint brand in the color Santorini. It is also a matte finish paint, so it will need to be sealed.

Painted vintage clothing hamper in bright blue.

The hamper has a small footprint and fits well inside a standard closet.

You won't want to hide this hamper in a closet now that it has a fresh new look!

But I think it's too pretty to tuck in a closet, so instead I think I would use it as a decorative storage bench in a mudroom for storing shoes, or a playroom for tucking away toys. I painted the inside of the hamper Gesso White (Jolie brand).

A quick coat of paint freshened up the interior.

Goodbye dark and dingy! Hello light and bright!

Goodbye dark and dingy! Hello light and bright!

I lightly distressed the paint before sealing it with the white wax.

Lightly distressed and sealed with white wax.

The chalk paint works beautifully over the vinyl. Just be sure to clean it thoroughly first and remove any dirt or oils.

Chalk paint over vinyl.


The addition of white wax gives it a slight weathered effect.

White wax over bright blue chalk paint.


I hope you enjoyed today's project. Thank you for stopping by The Black Sheep Shoppe.

Let the white wax settle into all the nooks and crannies.


DIY before and after with paint.

Learn how to create this look with chalk paint.






Comments

Visit Me on Pinterest!

Popular Posts