Blog Post 306: Out with the Old. Transformed to New.

Original decor when we purchased the condo.

I planned on updating the guest bedroom at my recent visit to my condo in North Carolina. Unfortunately, I didn't have time as other projects ended up taking priority. However, I was able to replace the old nightstand with a new one that I painted at home.

In the meantime, I didn't want to pitch the old nightstand, so I brought it home for a makeover. I didn't like that each drawer had two knobs. It would be better with a drawer pull, but since I didn't have any that fit, I decided to fill in the old holes.

Before. Nightstand I brought home from my condo in North Carolina.

First I taped off the holes on the back side of the drawers.

Before filling the holes, I tape off the backs so the wood filler won't leak through.

Next I filled a syringe with some wood filler.

Put the wood filler in a small syringe.

Then I plunged the wood filler into the holes. After the wood filler was dry I sanded it smooth. I can still see a slight imprint of the old holes, so I probably should have done another coat of wood filler. But I think it worked out OK and done is better than perfect. Before I started painting I drilled a new hole in between the center of the old holes.

Plunge the wood filler into the old hole.

I used Heirloom Traditions All-in-One paint in the color Cashmere (affiliate). I brushed on the first coat around the raised trim.

I brushed on the first coat around the raised trim.

I poured paint directly onto an applicator sponge.

I poured paint directly onto an applicator sponge.

Then I wiped it around and stippled (or pounced) the sponge over the wet paint to evenly distribute it.

I used the sponge to apply the paint and then evened it out by stippling.

This is what it looked like after the first coat of paint. Using the applicator sponge is much faster than brushing, and it really speeds up the painting project. I ended up applying three coats of paint.

This is what the first coat of paint looks like. A little blotchy, but the next coat will be magic.


AFTER:

My favorite aspect of the paint is that it doesn't require a top coat. Once the paint is dry the project is finished!

My favorite aspect of the paint is that it doesn't require a top coat. Once the paint is dry the project is finished!

What a difference paint makes!

What a difference paint makes!

Close up of painted finish.

Changing to a single knob instead of the double knobs creates a better visual balance.

Changing to a single knob instead of double knobs give this piece better visual balance.

Using the applicator sponge creates a subtle, but not unsightly, texture.

Using an applicator sponge creates some subtle texture, but it's not unsightly.

Before and after.
Before and after nightstand. Painted in Heirloom Traditions All-in-one paint in the color Cashmere.

Thanks for stopping by The Black Sheep Shoppe.

Comments

Visit Me on Pinterest!

Popular Posts