Faded Grandeur Finish on Vintage Dresser

Seriously, you won't believe this makeover! Stop by and see how to turn it into treasure.


This is my interpretation of the Faded Grandeur finish as taught by Jonathan Marc Mendes at The Painted Love Academy (no affiliate).  I finished the course recently and knew this vintage dresser would be a good piece to try it out on. If you're interested in learning more about the Faded Grandeur technique or any of Jonathan's other courses, you can register for free and view a couple of sample courses.

The dresser was made in the early 1900's and was manufactured by the Sligh Furniture Company in Michigan. The label on the back indicated it was sold by the department store Pouge's in Cincinnati, Ohio.

This vintage Sligh dresser was in bad shape.

It also includes a coordinating mirror with beautiful detail trim work. The set is very large, so I kept it disassembled as I worked on the project.

Matching mirror for vintage Sligh dresser.

One major problem is the center drawer was missing the key, and since there wasn't a knob, a key was essential. I bought it with the hopes that one of my skeleton keys would fit, and luckily for me I had one that fit. If you hunt thrift stores for furniture then a set of skeleton keys will come in very handy. (Links to products are provided for your convenience. These are products that I have actually purchased and used. Don't worry it won't cost you extra.)

I keep a set of skeleton keys on hand. Luckily one of my keys fit the dresser.

It gets a bit crazy while I am working on projects, so I tucked the key safely away while I worked. In the interim I made a temporary drawer pull with painters tape.

I created a temporary drawer pull with painters tape while I worked on the dresser.

The temporary drawer pull worked like a charm.

Creating a temporary drawer pull allowed me to work without worrying about losing the key.

The second major problem with the dresser was the severely damaged veneer on the drawer fronts. A few missing pieces here and there can be patched in fairly easily.

The veneer on the drawer fronts was in rough shape and needed to be addressed before painting.

But the wood veneer on the bottom drawer especially had a lot of damage across the entire drawer front.

A closer look shows that the remaining veneer was loose and buckling.

If you look closely you can see that the wood is loose and buckling.

There are a few options when working with loose veneer.

The damage was too severe to repair, so I decided to remove the loose sections.

I removed all the loose wood veneer.

Loose wood veneer removed.

I patched the areas missing veneer with wood filler. After it was dry I sanded it smooth with my orbit sander. I used a professional strength wood filler for this project.

I patched the missing veneer with wood filler and then sanded it smooth.

I wanted an even finish beneath my painted surface, so I applied a gel stain over the wood filler.

I applied an antique walnut gel stain directly over the wood filler.

As usually happens with wood filler, it required a second coat. But I sort of liked the grungy look and instead decided to work it into my design.

A second coat of wood filler is needed, but I sort of liked the grungy look, so I decided to work it into my design.

For the painting process I set up two work stations. I used my kitchen island to paint the mirror frame. Taping off the mirror isn't strictly necessary, but I find it worthwhile to take a few minutes beforehand and tape it -- less clean up in the end.

Taping off the mirror isn't exactly necessary, but I find it worthwhile to take a few minutes beforehand and tape it -- less clean up in the end..

I created a second temporary painting studio in my living room. I had to temporarily re-route pedestrian traffic, but everyone was a good sport about it.

I created a second temporary painting studio in my living room. I had to temporarily re-route pedestrian traffic, but everyone was a good sport about it.

My base color is French Linen and the main color is Duck Egg Blue. The base color isn't prominent, but it does make a difference in the end which you will see in one of the "after" photos.

My base color is French Linen and the main color is Duck Egg Blue.

I don't have the steadiest of hand when it comes to painting, so I used a small angled artist brush to paint the Duck Egg around the detailed trim work. The angled brush makes all the difference.

I used a small angled artist brush to paint the Duck Egg around the detailed trim work.


AFTER:

And here she is with her new Faded Grandeur painted finish. The staging props I used were chosen strictly for me to hide behind while I took the photos.

Vintage dresser painted with a Faded Grandeur finish.

The main color is Duck Egg with Coco and Old White for the trim.

I used chalk paint to create a Faded Grandeur painted finish on the dresser.

Dark wax was applied over Coco on the top of the dresser.

For the frame holding the mirror I used Coco and Old White with a touch of dark wax.

For the frame holding the mirror I used Coco and Old White with a touch of dark wax.


Duck Egg Blue chalk paint.

Bottom drawer after one rough coat of wood filler and chalk paint.

I painted the skeleton key to coordinate with the dresser.

This paint technique works especially well on the decorative trim.

The dresser in the foreground is Duck Egg Blue over a base coat of French Linen. The chair in the background is also Duck Egg Blue, but the base coat is Old Ochre. Can you see the difference the base coat makes?

The dresser in the foreground is Duck Egg Blue over a base coat of French Linen. The chair in the background is the same Duck Egg Blue, but the base coat is Old Ochre.

I used a wet distress technique on the chalk paint.

Layered chippy paint. Perfectly imperfect.

The imperfections in the old dresser actually work quite well into the new design.

Learn how to turn thrift store "trash" into treasure!

Thank you for stopping by The Black Sheep Shoppe today!

This old beautiful dresser was in rough shape. Come and see how I embraced the imperfections and made it part of her story.

Comments

  1. I am a wood lover that hopes that the beauty of the wood will be repaired and loved and not just covered up in Coat of Paint. But i have to say that you have brought out the beauty in this piece--well done. well done. you should be proud

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Your comment means a lot to me. I appreciate your feedback.

      Delete
    2. I agree, but sometimes the "wood beauty" is beyond salvaging. This is a prime example of that. Remember, there are fine furniture pieces, that are painted. IMO the value of this piece has been increased.

      Delete
    3. I have an almost identical dresser like this, I turned it into a bathroom vanity. Was able to keep the wood color, the veneer damage , is on the wall side, (unseen).
      Great job!

      Delete
    4. I've been wanting to turn a dresser into a bathroom vanity, but don't have the space yet. Lucky you!

      Delete
  2. This is just GORGEOUS...I am really thinking about taking courses on how to do this...hopefully if I do I could be as good as you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. I think you will enjoy painting and hope you give it a try!

      Delete
  3. I usually keep my opinion(s) to myself, as most of the time the opinions other people care to share are just hurtful and mean... but I absolutely feel obligated to tell you that this is the MOST BEAUTIFUL restoration project that I have EVER seen in all of my years on this Earth! (and I am no spring chicken! LOL) You are a true artist! (I wish you lived close to me, as I have a few pieces that I would LOVE for you to paint for me.) Nevertheless, I just wanted to say to you that you are using the talent that God gave to you very well!! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words. Your comment made my day. :)

      Delete
  4. Absolutely beautiful!! You really do have a great talent for painting furniture!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I love what you did, I do have a question, aside from fixing/patching the veneer did you have to sand it down? This is a bigger question.....how do you decided what color(s) to choose, I'm imagining this piece in other colors and I'm just not in visioning them working as well as what you chose. Unless it's having an artists eye!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used an orbit sander to sand down the wood filler, but otherwise didn't do any sanding to the rest of the piece. The paint was wet distressed with a damp cloth. For determining a color palette you could search on Pinterest for inspiration. Or look at artwork/paintings that you love and choose your palette from that. If you let me know what main color you are leaning towards I might be able to offer some suggestions. In the meantime, have fun and enjoy your project!

      Delete
  6. I love this! Inspiration abounds...thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also refurbish old "unsalvageable" furniture. This. Is. Gorgeous! I'm still working on getting close to how good you are! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. I cringe sometimes when I look at my older projects, but I love them all the same. Just keep at it and enjoy what you do!

      Delete
  8. Wonderful. You added to the beauty and value of this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is absolutely beautiful. What a way to save a grande dame. My obsession is round mirrors, I just love this color and artistry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Helen! I love the round mirrors, too. Especially when they have pretty trim.

      Delete
  10. i agree with all that has been said. i love restoring wood if possible. but dear lady, you've taken what appeared to be an impossible piece to save and turned it into a work of art. leaving the wood filler rough was brilliant. my goodness, you are talented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Smooches. I appreciate your comment about leaving the wood filler rough. It was a tough call at the time, but in the end I think it worked.

      Delete
  11. Amazing!! I didn't think you could pull this off. I though you may have taken on more than you thought. That's taking restoration to a whole new level. Outstanding Job. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OhMyGosh, I am in love with this finish! I have a very similar dresser sitting in my living rooms right now (for lack of somewhere else to put it) and it already has two coats of French linen paint on the drawers. I want to try this but I think the French linen may be on too heavy for the original wood to show through unless that look is actually the wax. I'll look at the paint class you mention because I HAVE to know how this is done. Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Diana. Most of the color variation is from wet distressing the Duck Egg over the French Linen. Dark wax is only in the crevices and corners. You could sand or wet distress the French Linen before applying Duck Egg and then wet distress again. Either way I'm sure it will be beautiful. If you try Jonathan's classes you won't be disappointed. He has a way of teaching and demonstrating that just makes it all come together.

      Delete
  13. I completely agree with all of the commenters. This piece is an absolute beauty! I love how you took the 'defects' and turned them into accents. Amazing job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fist off, I absolutely love this. All the different tones makes these two pieces stand out from time with more beauty as if they just came from the royal family’s home. I do want to make sure of one thing about the technique though. After painting the Duck Egg Blue, Coco, and Old White over their base coats, did you then rub the extra paint off? I saw that you brushed a nice coat on so I wasn’t sure if you lightly sanded or rubbed with a cloth. Also, how long did you allow the paint to sit, did you seal these after, and what kind of paint were you using? Unless I looked over it, I don’t remember seeing if it was clarified. I know it’s a lot of questions, sorry. I have a set I worked on for my living room, but this would be gorgeous in my kids room. Well the color would change slightly but it’s still perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I appreciate your kind comment. I wet distressed the paint with a cloth and sealed the entire piece with soft clear wax.

      Delete
  15. What really adds to this piece is your choices to paint what and where! Those little touches of painting the separator pieces adds so much! Also the carved details in the off white. If you had painted it all the same this piece would NOT have the panache it now has! Duck egg blue was a great choice. Well done. It looks like you speckled the finish as well. You don't speak to that but I see it on the piece. A toothbrush? I use that when I do it. What color did you speckle w? Looks to be a dark gray, also chalk paint? Paris Grey or is that too blue?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind and thoughtful comment! And yes I did speckle a bit here and there. But I couldn't do as much as I would have liked because I was working in my living room and didn't want my walls speckled, ha ha. I used the bristles of a stencil brush. The speckled paint color is a mixture of French Linen and Graphite, about 50/50.

      Delete
  16. This is amazing and I love, love, love the color! My question is - Does 'distressed with a damp cloth' (you mentioned in one of the comments) make the small dark spots?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Tracy! The distressing of the paint actually removes some of the paint back to the original finish or the base coat and gives it the look of a faded and worn over time finish. The little spots I applied after distressing using a chip brush and flicked the paint randomly onto the dresser. I'm not sure if I explained that properly, but hopefully that helps!

      Delete
  17. Beautiful work and technique. I too am a lover of wood and like to keep it on the side of unpainted to be able to enjoy different woods’ grain. This piece in the shape you got it would have cost a great deal to have someone professionally re-veneer it. IMO you created a piece that elegantly stands out even from when it was in very good shape.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just one thing. Absolutely breathtaking~

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi!

    Just gorgeous! Thought for sure paint would completely destroy it's beauty and details of fine workmanship, but you really created a masterpiece! Congrats on your artistic vision and talent!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW!!! This is an amazing transformation! I love it! I think this is my favorite dresser I've ever seen redone. You did a fabulous job! Thank you for sharing all of the information and your tips and I hope you enjoy it for a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Since all of the good folks previously have stolen every word I had planned to use, I almost didn't comment. However, if you knew me, you would thoroughly appreciate the following statement which I do not make lightly: This is the ONLY wood piece - no matter what shape originally - which I can unhesitatingly state has been truly made better by the use of paint. Kudos and keep up the good and gorgeous work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment. There were a couple of times during the project that I thought I was in over my head, but in the end it worked out OK.

      Delete
  22. Absolutely beautiful.. I may have wondered for a brief moment why you’d paint this piece ... but no more. You didn’t just save or repurpose it, you gave it new life & improved the look more than I’d have ever thought possible. It’s ten times what it was originally. Bravo! ����

    ReplyDelete
  23. Absolutely beautiful.. I may have wondered for a brief moment why you’d paint this piece ... but no more. You didn’t just save or repurpose it, you gave it new life & improved the look more than I’d have ever thought possible. It’s ten times what it was originally. Bravo! ����

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great job!! I love it, I like to paint furniture too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I apologize for the delay in my response Cheryl. I am afraid your comment got lost in the shuffle. But I appreciate your kind comment. Keep on painting! :-)

      Delete
  25. Very nice!! Is the top just painted, too?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Gorgeous work! I see I’m late to the show but I have some questions if you don’t mind.
    Did you use any kind of primer to prevent bleed through? Did you mix the old white with the cocoa or use them separately?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not use primer on this piece. After the first coat of paint I checked carefully for any bleed through and luckily there was none. However, if there was bleed through I would have used a coat or two of clear shellac before proceeding with painting. I layered the old white and coco paints separately.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Select the NOTIFY ME box to receive a notification of a reply to your comment (yes, I do try to acknowledge all comments). There might be a publishing delay on older posts as they are moderated to reduce spam.

Visit Me on Pinterest!

Popular Posts