Mirror Painted with Chalk Paint and Petroleum Jelly


I tried a new-to-me technique using petroleum jelly when I painted this mirror. When trying something new I like to experiment with smaller projects to get the hang of it before attempting on a larger piece. And this mirror was the perfect project to try it on.

Before & During

It is an oval mirror in a rectangular frame with lovely details.


First I painted the raised details in Graphite.


After the paint was dry I rubbed the areas with petroleum jelly.


Next I painted the entire frame in Old White. The chalk paint covered the areas with petroleum jelly but it should make it easier to reveal the darker paint later.


Once the white paint was dry I rubbed it off from the raised areas with a damp washcloth to reveal the darker paint below.


After

The details now have more visual depth and interest.




Comments

Visit Me on Pinterest!

Popular Posts