Adding Character to a Chair: Graphite, Coco, and Black Wax

Are you ready for a chair makeover? 
I picked this chair up at a thrift store for a few bucks. It's made of solid wood with a caned seat and is sturdy.

I wasn't sure if I would paint the seat or not, so for the time being I taped it off.

Tape off areas you don't want painted.
Starting with the underside of the chair I applied two coats of Graphite (Annie Sloan Chalk Paint).

Paint the underside first.
I applied two coats to the rest of the chair and decided at this point that the light color on the seat was too much of a contrast.

The seat needs something . . .
 After the Graphite was dry I taped off the area surrounding the caning and then I brushed CoCo on the seat.

I painted the seat in Coco (Annie Sloan Chalk Paint).


After

I added black wax over the graphite paint to deepen the color.
Graphite, Coco, and black wax.

The caning was in good condition which makes for an easier makeover.
Distressing throughout gives the chair a well-loved and aged appearance.

Distressing adds character and history to the chair.
Here's a close up of the front cross spindles.

Front cross support spindles.


Comments

Visit Me on Pinterest!

Popular Posts