Rustic Cottage Shelf



I picked this wood shelf up a while back, and it sat in my booth for a long time. So I decided I would give it a makeover and perhaps make it more appealing to buyers. It's not a dramatic transformation that gets a "Wow!", but I really had fun with this project and love how the shelf turned out.

Before

Before
Admittedly it was a little plain before, but I liked it because the shelf is deep enough to hold larger items and not just knick-knacky things. It's versatile enough to hang in just about any room, but I think it would work wonderfully in a laundry room to hold laundry supplies, bathroom, or mudroom. If it doesn't sell this time then I will definitely use it in my laundry room.


After

After
I painted the shelf in Cream (Annie Sloan Chalk Paint) and added medium distressing in keeping with it's rustic cottage style. I sealed the shelf in soft wax to protect the finish and for durability. I think it now has the look of a well-used shelf, but the finish is clean and shiny. The best of both worlds really.

I didn't have an appropriate nail already in a wall for a photo shoot, so I used an S-hook and hung the shelf on a trellis; my apologies for the distracting background!




The shelf is at the booth!

I've been busy getting a lot of projects, both large and small, completed. Two larger projects that I recently finished are a chest of drawers and the Jenny Lind bed. I will post about those projects as soon as I get around to taking a few photos. I don't have room in the house to put the bed together, so I'll need to find a spot for assembling the bed for a photo shoot. The good news is now that I'm getting a lot of projects completed I can go shopping for more furniture!

Popular Posts