DIY Scrap Wood Sign

Learn how to make an easy DIY sign from scrapwood.

This is a great project to use up leftover scrap wood. It's easy to make and customize for whatever type of wood scraps you have available. It makes a wonderful gift or keep it for yourself!

Supply List: 

  • Scrap wood, 
  • Paint, 
  • Brush / Roller, 
  • Extra scrap wood for frame (optional), 
  • Hairdryer (also optional; used to speed up the drying process), 
  • Stencil or Vinyl Decals*

*For this project I used my Sihloutte Cameo cutting machine to cut out vinyl decal stencils. Don't be discouraged if you don't have a cutting machine! I've included links at the very end of this article for 3 of my most popular projects using store bought pre-cut stencils.

I started with a piece of leftover beadboard paneling. The scrap piece I am using is in good shape, but there were some scuff marks which I needed to cover.

Learn how I turned the scrap of paneling into money.
LEFTOVER SCRAP OF BEADBOARD PANEL IS BASE FOR HOMEMADE SIGN

I wanted to create a casual farmhouse look. I used small amounts of leftover paint from my stash to create a layered painted background. I started with a base layer of brown.

Painting the base layer over scrap wood.
START WITH A BASE LAYER OF PAINT

I used my hairdryer to speed up the drying process. Once the first layer of was dry, I lightly applied a coat of blue over the brown paint.

Building light layers of paint for a vintage finish.
ADD LIGHT LAYERS OF PAINT

Next I applied vinyl decals that I cut from my Sihlouette machine onto the painted beadboard.  The vinyl stuck well to the flat surface, but I wasn't sure how well the vinyl would hold up over time since it didn't make contact over the grooves. So at this point I decided to slightly change the direction of the project. 

Vinyl letters on scrap wood.
APPLY VINYL DECALS

I rolled a coat of white paint over the entire board including the vinyl letters. The colored background will now become the color of the text.

Rolling paint over vinyl letters.
ROLL PAINT OVER VINYL STENCILS

Then I removed the vinyl stencils which revealed the layered paint background.

Vinyl letters removed from the sign.
SCRAP WOOD SIGN READY FOR FRAMING

I attached the beadboard sign to a simple frame made from scrap wood that my husband cut for me. And here's my finished sign hanging at my booth. My "Bed & Breakfast" sign sold very quickly! I plan to make another sign to keep for myself and hang it in my guest room.

Handmade Bed & Breakfast sign.
BED & BREAKFAST SIGN MADE FROM SCRAP WOOD

MAKE SIGNS USING PRE-CUT STENCILS:

Please visit the following articles if you're interested in learning how to make signs using pre-cut stencils,

Comments

Visit Me on Pinterest!

Popular Posts