Decorative Parisian Trunk

Wicker trunk before

This is a decorative trunk that I will give a little Parisian style to.



What I did love about the trunk is that it's the perfect size for storing smaller items such as books, magazines, craft supplies, etc.

Decorative trunk makes great storage
Perfect size for storing things!


Apply two light coats of Chalk Paint
Apply two light coats of Chalk Paint
Affix stencil to the project
Affix stencil to the project
Use a small amount of paint (dry brush) and pounce over stencil
Use a small amount of paint (dry brush) and pounce over stencil
Move the stencil to create an original design
Don't limit yourself to the original stencil.
Move it around to create an original design!
Use a sanding sponge to lightly distress the paint.
Use a sanding sponge to lightly distress the paint.

Apply clear wax with a lint free cloth
Apply clear wax with a lint free cloth

AFTER


Decorative Parisian Trunk
After. From bland to ooh-la-la!
 I didn't capture it in the "during" photos, but after I applied the clear wax, I lightly dipped my lint free cloth in black wax and gently rubbed it along sections of the basket. I chose the black wax to give it a more "sooty" look rather than dark (brown) wax which I thought would look too dirty. I'm not sure if there's much difference between soot and dirt, but that was the design plan.😊

Black wax applied
Black wax applied
Since the original stencil didn't fit entirely unto one section, I re-positioned the stencil to fit my project which helps give a more custom look.
Cafe Paris trunk
Cafe Paris trunk
Decorating with thrift store finds.


I hope you enjoyed today's project! I'll include a supply list below in case you're inspired to create a similar project. And if you are inspired I would love to hear from you! You need a Google+ account to comment here on the blog, or you can always reach me on my Facebook page.

Supply List

Other than the trunk, all the supplies were items I had on hand and most are re-usable. The paint was left over from other projects. If you don't do a lot of projects, then purchase the smallest size paint and wax. If you do a lot of projects then the larger size is more economical.
  • Chalk Paint by Annie Sloan (Antoinette for the base, Coco for the trim, and Graphite for the stencil) and wax (clear and black). Click on the link to find where you can by her products from local stockists. Some stockists also ship via online orders! If you live near a stockist I encourage you to visit in-person to get advice and inspiration. If you prefer to order online I have used and recommend either Fleurish Home or The Purple Painted Lady.
  • Cafe Paris Stencil by Deco Art. The stencil is re-usable. They have a great selection of Parisian stencils as well as other designs, too.
  • Angled paint brush which worked great for painting over the wicker easily and quickly. The angle helped get into the nooks and crannies without using too much paint, I used a round brush for the stencil (technically you should use a stencil brush, but I use my round brush instead because that's what I have on hand).
  • Flexible sanding pad These come in a box of 20, but I cut them in half so I get 40! The pads are re-usable. One box will last for a very long time. The pads also come in a superfine finish for even smoother results.
  • Lint free shop rags for applying soft clear wax. (Alternatively cut up an old cotton t-shirt.) If you do a lot of projects such as furniture then I recommend investing in a wax brush. But for a project this size you absolutely don't need a wax brush.



Comments

Visit Me on Pinterest!

Popular Posts