Blog Post #320: Baby Boy Boho Blanket

Babies LOVE bright colors and textures!


This color scheme might not be what you would first expect for a typical baby blanket. But as I worked on the Boho Blanket that I made for myself (you can see the Boho Blanket project HERE), I thought about how the bright cheerful colors and textures would be perfect for a baby.

Bright cheerful colors and textures are perfect for a baby!

First I planned a general color scheme and then ordered the yarn online.  Below is a screen shot of my initial color planning process.

Color chart for project planning.
Usually ordering online works out OK; however, sometimes the actual product is a bit of a surprise as the colors I see on the screen aren't always the exact shade or tone of the real-life product. That isn't the fault of the retailer, it's just a fact of screen variations.

Boho baby blanket with lots of color for baby!

For instance, the tone of the orange I selected was more intense than what I was expecting. I knew it would overwhelm the color scheme, so I used less of the orange than I first planned, and tried to balance it out over the design of the blanket. I will use the remainder of the orange on a different project.

Color balance is important when using multiple colors.


Other than selecting the colors of yarn prior to beginning the project, I don't work with a specific color pattern in mind. Instead I pick a color and build it from there as I go while keeping in mind a general thought towards color balance.

Typically we think of soft pastels for a baby, and for the sleepy newborn the soft colors work well. But as babies grow and become more aware of the world around them, the vibrant colors and textures will captivate their attention and spark their imagination.

Typically we think of soft pastels for a baby, and for the sleepy newborn those colors work well. But as babies grow and become more aware of the world around them, the vibrant colors and textures will captivate their attention and spark their imagination.

I used soft acrylic yarns which are not only good for stitch definition, but they are also washable and easier to care for than other materials.

Crochet boho baby blanket. I used soft acrylic yarns which are not only good for stitch definition, but they are also washable and easier to care for than other materials.

Thank you for stopping by The Black Sheep Shoppe. I hope you enjoyed today's project!

I create a color chart for my crochet project planning.



Comments

Post a Comment

Select the NOTIFY ME box to receive a notification of a reply to your comment (yes, I do try to acknowledge all comments). There might be a publishing delay on older posts as they are moderated to reduce spam.

Visit Me on Pinterest!

Popular Posts