Blog Post #314: Behind the Scenes

 A little chaos behind the scenes of photos.

Painting furniture for a living is more than simply painting furniture. After the painting is done it's time to take it to market and sell it. Today's blog post is a combination behind-the-scenes of the logistics of photographing furniture for marketing, and at the end of the post a quick peek at my booth space while it's waiting for me to move in some larger pieces.

My studio space for furniture photography is small. Trying to squeeze in a dining table and four chairs, as shown in the lead photo, is a challenge. The room itself is ample, but my husband is currently using half of it for his office. This is the best shot I could get of the table without moving everything else out of the room.

Space constraints didn't allow me to get an unobstructed full shot of the table and chairs.

The problem with the photograph is the bookcase on the left, the floor vent, and the tiny portion of my secretary desk showing in the bottom right corner. I could have moved the bookcase, but I just didn't have the energy to move it myself. I am also limited in how far I can step back from the corner of the room because of my husband's office furniture.

Working with a small studio space presents challenges.

This isn't the best photographic composition, but it was only taken to advertise the set on Facebook Marketplace. Slightly cropping the photo eliminated most of the distractions from the bottom corner. I left the bookcase as it almost matches the table set.

It's not my favorite composition, but sometimes you just have to work with what you've got. Slightly cropping the photo eliminated most of the distractions.

The next day, I moved the table to my booth, and cleared my other furniture pieces out into my entryway.

Juggling furniture pieces for photography and transport.

While my studio space was cleared of other furniture, I was able to take photos of the large china hutch. This is what it looks like from behind the camera.

The china hutch is being photograph. The other pieces are waiting for their turn.

And this is one of the final photos of the china hutch.

It takes a little maneuvering to get the final photograph.

Once I finished taking photos of the china hutch, it was time to photograph the 6-drawer dresser. I slid the china hutch over to the side and positioned the dresser in place.

After taking photos of the china hutch, I slid it to the side to make room for the dresser.

Ah so calm and serene in the photo . . .

The photo is calm and serene, but there is chaos behind the camera.

My next step is to get some larger pieces into my booth. I've sold out of all my large pieces, so I am currently re-stocking my inventory. I squeezed in the table and chair set, but will need to make room for the dresser and china hutch. I'm not sure exactly how they will fit, but somehow it always works out.


Booth 139 at the Lebanon Peddlers Mall.

The corner wall features some of my recent handmade signs.

The back wall features some large signs which I used to visually build up the space. I will move these signs to make space for the china hutch.

The back wall features some large signs which I used to temporarily build up the space.

The table and chairs take up a large amount of space in my booth. I might open one side of the table and tuck the chairs under it.
Lebanon Peddlers Mall booth 139. The Black Sheep Shoppe.

I am stacking some smaller pieces until I can get some larger pieces moved in.

am stacking some smaller pieces until I can get some larger pieces moved in.

I painted the thrift store container in order to hold my floral displays. You can see that project HERE.

Use thrift store decor to create beautiful storage.

I hope you enjoyed the behind-the-scenes tour. Thanks so much for stopping by The Black Sheep Shoppe today!

Comments

  1. Do you have a telephone for your shop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rent my space from a large store, so I don't have a business number for my shop. I can be reached via email at TheBlackSheepShoppe@gmail.com

      Delete

Post a Comment

Select the NOTIFY ME box to receive a notification of a reply to your comment (yes, I do try to acknowledge all comments). There might be a publishing delay on older posts as they are moderated to reduce spam.

Visit Me on Pinterest!

Popular Posts