Blog Post #312: Transform Furniture from Dated to Classic

Learn how to transform dated furniture into farmhouse style.

My favorite type of furniture is "dated" furniture. Why you ask? Because I find it all the time at thrift stores for rock bottom prices. And with a small investment of time and money it is easy to transform it into a classic looking piece. This two-piece hutch is just one example. It's a good quality piece, but a little ho-hum.

I found this hutch at a thrift store. It's a little ho-hum, so I will give it a classic finish that will become a statement piece when it's done.

It's hard to see in the photo above, but the top of the hutch near the crown has a country-style design routed into the wood. Simply painting over the design will help it fade away, but in this case I decided to fill it in with wood filler. I sanded it smooth once the wood filler dried.

Cover up dated designs with wood filler.

Nothing says "classic" more than black, so I painted the exterior of the hutch in Graphite (Jolie Matte Finish Paint brand). To further deepen the color, I sealed the paint with black wax. If applying black wax over a lighter color I always seal it first with clear wax, but I skipped this step because the paint was dark.

Black wax deepens the graphite color.

Dark colored wax can end up looking blotchy or streaky, especially on large flat areas. To combat an uneven wax finish, use a wax brush to apply and massage the wax onto the surface (using circular motions) and smooth it out (going with the grain) for a consistent color.

Follow these steps to avoid a blotchy or streaky finish when black wax.

 Add more wax as needed until you get an even finish.

Add more wax as needed until you get an even finish.

Then wipe away the excess wax with a lint free cloth. It will be dry to the touch, but it does take a few weeks to fully cure for everyday use. I wait 24 hours and then re-wipe and buff the wax with a clean cloth.

Wipe away the excess wax with a lint free cloth.

I used a small chip brush to work the wax into the inside corners of the hutch.

I used a small chip brush to work the wax into the inside corners of the hutch.

AFTER:

And here is the finished project.

You can transform your furniture with paint.

The hutch also features an interior light. I painted the interior Antique White (Jolie brand) and sealed the interior paint with clear wax. I took this photo during the day and you can see the interior is lit up, but at night it looks especially beautiful.

I took this photo during the day and you can see the interior is lit up, but at night it looks especially beautiful.


I bet you'd never guess this china hutch was from a thrift store.


The hutch has lots of room for extra storage and display.

The hutch has lots of room for extra storage and display.

I painted the handles on the doors in Graphite and sealed them with clear wax. It provides a slight contrast against the black wax.

Changing to clear wax on the handles provides a slight contrast against the black wax.

I used one of my handmade signs to stage the china hutch.

I used one of my handmade signs to stage the china hutch.

I used some of my dishes to stage the interior shelves, but most of my coffee cups were in the dishwasher. So although you don't see it, one of the cups in the photo was full of coffee. Just a little staging trick.

Use everyday items from around your house to stage furniture.

I also used the china hutch as a backdrop to photograph some of the signs I made recently.

Vintage china hutch with handmade wood signs.

Here are a few close ups of the signs.

Antiques bought and sold here. Handmade wood sign.

Handmade wood sign featuring the GPS coordinates of Lebanon, Ohio. This was my husband's favorite sign. Maybe I will make him one for Christmas.

Handmade wood sign featuring the GPS coordinates of Lebanon, Ohio.

This is my favorite sign. Kind people are the best!

This is my favorite sign. Kind people are the best!

There are so many more to show you, but I'll wrap it up with one last collection of some winter holiday signs:

Previously it was a dated country hutch. Now it has a classic finish.




Hand made winter signs.

Thanks for stopping by The Black Sheep Shoppe today.

It's easy to transform dated furniture into a classic piece for your home.

Comments

Visit Me on Pinterest!

Popular Posts