Blog Post #298: Bentwood Cafe Chair

Bentwood cafe chair.

Usually the furniture I work on is ugly and in disrepair. Not so in this case. As you can see this Bentwood cafe chair is actually quite pretty as-is. There is a little damage to the finish, but nothing too horrendous. In fact I used it as part of my styling vignette in my previous blog post.

Some folks like stained wood furniture and others like painted furniture. There is no right or wrong.

I staged it here today with the same vase of peonies that I plan to use in the "after" photos so you can see it both ways and compare it apples-to-apples. It all comes down to personal preference. Some folks like stained wood furniture and others like painted furniture. There is no right or wrong.

My mom picked up this chair for me (thanks Mom!). Luckily the cane seat is in great shape.

Vintage Bentwood style chair with cane seat.

Painting chairs with tight spaces can sometimes be difficult. But to make the job easier, I use a small angled artist brush (affiliate) to push the paint into the tricky areas. A small flat brush would also work well, but I prefer the angled brush.

Try this trick the next time you have a tight space to paint.

Next I switched to a larger brush to quickly finish up the job.  I turned the chair upside down to paint two coats underneath and then flipped it right side up to complete the painting. I sealed the chalk paint with clear wax.

Use a large paint brush to quickly finish the job.

AFTER:

The chair is painted with two coats of Provence Blue chalk paint.

The chair is painted with two coats of Provence Blue chalk paint.

Whether it needs it or not, painting furniture will definitely change the overall look and feel of how it works in a space.

Whether it needs it or not, painting furniture will definitely change the overall look and feel of how it works in a space.

I liked how the Provence blue looked against the natural cane seat, so I left the original finish.

I liked the way the Provence blue looked against the natural cane seat, so I decided not to paint the seat.

Once again it is a matter of personal preference whether to paint furniture or not. Do what you love. Love what you do.

It is a matter of personal preference whether to paint furniture or not. Do what you love. Love what you do.

Thank you for stopping by The Black Sheep Shoppe today.

Comments

Visit Me on Pinterest!

Popular Posts