Blog Post #295: Antoinette Side Table

I found this little table at a local Goodwill thrift store. The finish was badly damaged.

Small side tables don't have large profit margins for me, but I can't resist them IF they are cute and AND the price is right. The finish is heavily damaged on this one, but the details of the design are sweet. Fortunately, the makeover was a quick and easy project.

Even though the finish was heavily damaged on this thrift store table, the makeover was quick and easy.

The table is sturdy and yet a little delicate as the wood is thin, so I didn't want to sand the finish smooth. Instead I used two  coats of Antoinette chalk paint and applied both coats in a random fashion (as opposed to with the grain). This results in most of the imperfections being hidden by the paint.

To mask the damaged finish I used two  coats of Antoinette chalk paint and applied both coats in a random fashion (as opposed to with the grain).


Some of the details get lost on a one-color finish, so I used two colors to highlight the decorative corners. I used an angled artist brush (affiliate) to make painting the tight corners easier. Simply load the brush with paint and insert into the corner . . .

Painting tight spots on furniture can be tricky, but the right brush will make the job so much easier.

. . . then drag it across. I later went back with the same angled brush and used it to paint the decorative pieces white.

Use an angled artist brush to paint the details.

AFTER:

And here is the "after" painted in Antoinette Pink with highlights in Gesso White.

Pink? Yes, please! I don't use the color often, but it is very lovely.

I haven't painted with pink for a while, so it was a refreshing change.

I gave this drab little table a makeover with chalk paint.

I lightly distressed the paint for a shabby chic effect.

Antoinette pink and Gesso White lightly distressed for a worn effect.

I applied clear wax to the entire finish and then applied white wax lightly around the top of the table.

Antoinette pink sealed with clear and white wax.

The texture created by random brush strokes is very subtle. The painted surface isn't as smooth as glass, but it is mostly smooth to the touch. The slight texture hides the flaws in the old finish.

The paint is smooth to the touch but the slight texture hides the flaws in the old finish.

Here's a before and after photo with the same staging in both.

DIY thriftstore side table painted.

Thank you for stopping by The Black Sheep Shoppe today!

A tight budget doesn't mean you can't have style. In fact it just might be better than you think. Let me show you how to create a beautiful home with secondhand furniture.

Comments

Visit Me on Pinterest!

Popular Posts