Dixie Nightstand Makeover

Enamel paint on Dixie Nightstand.

I'm testing various paint products to eventually use to paint the kitchen cabinets in my vacation condo. I need a product that is fairly easy to use as well as durable enough to hold up to wear and tear from renters. I'm using smaller furniture projects to test the paints. The first paint I used, and what I am sharing here today is Wise Owl One Hour Enamel.

This nightstand was manufactured by Dixie Furniture. I like the clean and simple lines and will eventually take it to the condo to use in the guest room (see photo at the end of this article).

Before: Dixie nightstand ready for a makeover.

Although this is a smaller project, it still requires the same prep work as a larger piece. The first step is always to clean it thoroughly and remove any dirt, grime, and oils.

Cleaning the furniture prior to painting is essential.

Next I used wood filler to fill in a few tiny dings and scratches.

Use wood filler to smooth out imperfections in the wood.

Once the wood filler was dry I sanded it smooth.

Sand the wood filler after it is dry.

I needed to prime this piece since I'm not using chalk paint, so I used the Wise Owl stain blocking primer in white. I planned on using two coats of primer.

Use a primer prior to applying paint. It's worth the extra step for a beautiful and lasting finish.

After the first coat of primer was dry, I detected bleed through on the back legs. This was a huge disappointment, but I fixed it easily by putting a coat of shellac over the areas with bleed through.  After the shellac was dry I applied the second coat of primer and had no further issues with bleed through. I sanded the primer smooth before proceeding with painting.

Bleed through occurred despite using a stain blocking primer. But I've got an easy fix.

The color of the enamel paint I am using is Antique Villa. After painting so many pieces with chalk paint it took me a bit to get used to the enamel. It's much thinner than chalk paint and I had to be on a constant watch for drips. But I do like that the paint dries quickly and doesn't require a top coat. The recommendations on the can suggest using a paint sprayer, or alternatively a roller, but I didn't have either on hand, so I used a brush. I think next time I might use a roller instead which might help prevent drips in the paint.

I am testing Wise Hour One Hour Enamel on a small furniture project before painting my kitchen cabinets.

AFTER:

Isn't the nightstand so pretty and elegant now? The Wise Owl Enamel paint is self-leveling and the finish is luxurious to the touch.

Painted Dixie nightstand with Wise Owl paint.

I let the paint cure for about 24 hours and already it feels strong and durable.

Furniture renovation with Wise Owl Paint.


The cleaned drawer pulls look nice against the new painted finish. (You can read about my process in this post.)

Clean the hardware instead of replacing it.

I didn't fully scrub away all the tarnish, but just enough to give it a little shine.

Cleaned brass hardware.


Why buy expensive new hardware when it's easy to clean it instead?

As I mentioned the paint is self leveling and it did result in a very smooth finish. I think it would have been even smoother if I had used a roller instead of a brush. Overall I really loved the paint; however, I was disappointed with the stain blocking properties of the primer, so I decided to use a different paint brand for my kitchen cabinets (you can see the project HERE).

A beautiful painted finish in a classic white.

The photo below also includes a bedside lamp in addition to the vase of flowers.  When I advertise an item for sale I always include the dimensions, but using a familiar object in a photo will help give potential buyers a better visual sense of scale. When styling a vignette for furniture I think it's best to keep it relatively simple.

Include a recognizable item to give scale to the photograph.

The photo below helps give a perspective on the white shade I used on the nightstand. The vase is an antique white and the base of the lamp is pure white.

Different shades of white.

The drawers of the old nightstand in the photo below don't slide easily, so I plan to use this nightstand as a replacement in the guest room at my condo. I will use the crisp white finish as my design inspiration for re-decorating the rest of the space. I will add two headboards, paint the walls, new bedding and art, and finally replace the window valances to finish the space.

Planning my re-decorating.

Thank you for stopping by The Black Sheep Shoppe.


What to do when stains bleed through primer.


Comments

Visit Me on Pinterest!

Popular Posts