Always Use Primer with Latex Paint

Why you should always use a primer before painting furniture with latex.

I learned the importance of using a primer before applying latex paint on furniture many years ago. I don't remember the exact date, but it was so long ago that it pre-dated the internet. (Yes I am that old.)

It was my very first painted furniture project and needless to say it was a huge failure. I was so excited to brighten up a hand-me-down piece of furniture. I slapped some white latex on it, but of course the paint eventually started to peel away. Sorry -- no photos of that project!

Lesson #1

In any event, I have since learned my lesson. Always apply primer before painting furniture with latex paint.

Lesson #2

The second lesson I am sharing today is to carefully evaluate the amount of prep-work and cost of repairs before buying used furniture. I sell most of the second-hand furniture I buy, so I need to make a profit on each project. But if the prep-work takes forever then I end up loosing money on the deal. So I've learned to avoid any piece that will require extensive prep-work or costly repairs. Because a primer was not applied to this bench before it was painted, it will take a huge amount of time and effort to remove the old paint.

My next furniture project as seen from the view from my back door.

Well obviously I bought it even though it's going to be a lot of work. It was only $30 and I just couldn't pass it by! I love the light green color and the bench itself is sturdy.

If you're painting furniture for profit then you must carefully evaluate how much work the project will take.

I would normally pass this by even though the price was right, but I am keeping this one for myself, so I snatched it up. As you can see in the close up photo it was previously blue and then the green latex was painted over it. It's a beautiful color, but the lack of primer has resulted in the paint peeling away. One of the reasons I love using chalk paint is that it doesn't require primer (although some prep work IS required). But chalk paint isn't magic and the painted surface underneath will continue to fail, so I will need to remove the old paint first. 

The bench wasn't prepped properly before it was painted.

HEY, WHERE ARE THE AFTER PHOTOS?

I don't have any "after" photos yet because I'm still deciding on the best and quickest way to remove the old paint. Then I will need to decide on a color and the best sealant for outdoor use. I'm not sure what color to paint it yet. When I have trouble deciding on a color, I visually strip away the current color in my mind's eye, and imagine what it will look like painted in various colors. I'll be working on the bench in between other projects, so stay tuned and I will post an update when it's finished.

Imagine what it will look like painted a different color.

Comments

Visit Me on Pinterest!

Popular Posts