Mid-Century Modern Nightstands


I was fortunate to receive this vintage pair of Mid-century Modern (MCM) nightstands as a gift for Christmas from my youngest daughter.  We actually had a ski trip planned over the Christmas break, but it was cancelled due to lack of snow. Although that was disappointing, I was happy to have this project to work on instead. As you'll see in the "before" pictures they needed a little bit of love.

Before and During

From a distance they didn't look too bad. The are constructed of solid wood with a blond wood veneer.


But as you can see in this close up the finish was in poor condition.


Also included were stickers labeled "Ben" and "Ron". I bet they were a pair of rascals!


The drawers had labels inside which I needed to remove because they were disintegrating. The text was mostly illegible, but I think it read "Suburban".


There were loose and missing pieces of veneer which needed repair before I could get started with paint.


Luckily the weather was unseasonably warm and I was able to work outdoors and enjoy some sunshine!


TJ was visiting for the holidays and he enjoyed basking in the sunbeams, too!


I decided to go with a two-toned color scheme and wanted to use bright modern colors. I taped off the separate areas so I could get a crisp line between the colors. The inside back and shelves are painted in Pure White (Annie Sloan Chalk Paint).


The second color that I chose is Provence. The color is fresh and clean which is perfect for a contemporary touch, but it would also work beautifully with an antiqued for an aged look.


After

As I mentioned, the pair is painted in Pure White and Provence.








I painted the inside drawer bottoms to coordinate the overall look.


Thanks for stopping by!



Comments

Visit Me on Pinterest!

Popular Posts