Removing Make-up Stains from Upholstery Fabric


I've finished up a couple of furniture projects last week and will share those as soon as I get a chance to take photos. In the meantime, I was taking a short break to work on some projects around the house. I'm doing a major de-cluttering and also working on organizing tons of old photos which I will eventually store electronically.

I was trying to focus exclusively on my home projects, but I spotted this vanity stool at an auction and just had to have it. The fabric is so beautiful and rich and the seamstress did a fabulous job. The fabric is also is also lined which gives it added richness. And the pleats -- love! 

Sample of stain. It went all the way around.
So what's the problem you ask (as if the title didn't give it away)? The seat was covered in make-up stains. A few spots of mascara here and there and a lot of areas where liquid foundation was spilled over it. But other than the make-up stains it was in otherwise perfect condition. I wasn't sure if I could get the stains out or not, but I felt it was certainly worth a try. So I entered into the bidding war and won - woo-hoo!

I won't keep you in suspense, so I'll tell you now that I was able to remove the stains. But I'll share the process with you. (I will mention the brands I used in this post, but I wasn't compensated in any manner. These are just the products I had on hand.)


My weapons of choice:
Lint free towel, Dryel Stain Remover, Fels-Naptha soap,
water, and a laundry scrubbing brush.


I spritzed Dryel Stain Remover on the affected areas and then rubbed it with a lint-free cloth. I repeated this process at least 5 times and that took care of most of the smaller stains.

Small orange-ish stain in center of photo.
Spritzed on Dryel Stain Remover.
Sorry photo is blurry; I was taking it one-handed!
Scrubbed with a lint free towel. Repeated about 5 times.
Stain is gone!
Unfortunately some of the larger areas were stubborn, so I switched from the lint free cloth to a laundry scrubbing brush. A toothbrush might have worked just as well, but I like the flat brush on fabric.
Stains cover a larger area.
I used a laundry scrubbing brush. But a toothbrush might work, too.
Overall I was pleased with the results from using the laundry brush, but I could still detect some of the orange-ish colored stains. So for my final step, I rubbed the laundry brush on a bar of Fels-naptha soap and applied that to the stain. It took a little bit of patience, but that eventually did the trick. 

Fels-naptha soap removed the last stubborn bits.
The darkened area is just wet and still needs to dry.
Now it's as good as (almost) new! Well, to be honest, if you stop by with a magnifying glass you might be able to detect a shadow of a stain, but for the rest of us, it's undetectable.

Love it!
There is a vanity in the background which I just finished up.
Looking good!

I can see a shadow of a particularly stubborn stain,
but hopefully only because I know where to look. Can you see it?

Otherwise, it's looking in tip-top shape!
I can't wait to get back to painting, but I'll focus on my photo organizing/scanning project this weekend instead. Yes, my weekends are that exciting! I hope you have a wonderful weekend.






Popular Posts