Sunday, January 1, 2017

Queen Anne Style Buffet

Antique Queen Anne Style Buffet Sideboard

I picked up this antique buffet at an auction. It's a very lovely piece and is constructed of solid wood, but it has sustained quite a bit of damage over the years. The most significant damage was to the applique and trim pieces. And unfortunately exact replacements are not available. So a little creativity was in order to put this piece back together again.


During

Actually none of the applique pieces had escaped damage, and each had a broken pieces or were missing entirely.

Broken and missing appliques
Broken and missing appliques

So the first order of business was to secure the remaining loose appliques with wood glue and clamped it until the glue was dry.

Clamp until the glue is dry
Clamp until the glue is dry

Next I filled a pastry bag with wood filler and piped a design into the missing areas. Once the wood filler was dry I sanded it to blend into the existing piece and then stained it.

Use a pastry bag and wood filler to repair missing trim.
Use a pastry bag and wood filler to repair missing trim.
I sanded the top of the buffet to remove the existing damage and then stained it with Antique Walnut. I sealed the stain with two coats of top coat. While the stain was drying, I decided to tackle the interior of the drawers.

The cutlery drawer was the most time consuming to work on. It was lined in what appeared to be the original felt which had worn away over the years. Nevertheless, the adhesive sure held up well, and after a bit of a struggle I was able to remove it. I used a metal scraper to scrape away any remaining adhesive. Afterward I stained the drawer bottoms in walnut.

Original drawer liner removed
Original drawer liner removed

After

The buffet is a substantial piece and makes a statement on its own, so I decided to go with a neutral color scheme. A bolder color might have been overpowering.

Queen Anne Style Buffet/Sideboard in Old Ochre
Queen Anne Style Buffet/Sideboard in Old Ochre

I applied light-to-medium distressing throughout.And unless you zoom in with a camera, the repairs aren't noticeable.

Repaired applique
Repaired applique

Although the repairs on the appliques aren't perfect, I think they blend in nicely after the paint was applied.

Re-attached loose applique
Re-attached loose applique

Re-created decorative trim with wood filler and pastry bag/tip
Re-created decorative trim with wood filler and pastry bag/tip

I stained and/or reconditioned each of the drawer interiors, but the interior shelves were in poor condition, so I painted those to match the exterior.

Stained top and drawer interiors in Antique Walnut
Stained top and drawer interiors in Antique Walnut

Top stained in Antique Walnut
Top stained in Antique Walnut

Antique buffet painted in Old Ochre

I finished this a month or so ago and it's been sitting in my living room ever since. Before I moved it I needed space for it in my booth, but more importantly I was waiting until someone big and strong was available to help my husband move it. My daughter's boyfriend Chris was visiting over the holidays and he and my husband moved it to the booth yesterday.

Supply List

Post a Comment