Vintage Rocking Chair with Damaged Finish Gets a New Look


Rocking chair painted black

I was in a thrift store to pick up another item, and spotted this rocking chair on my way out. No way was I leaving it behind.

Before

I'm not sure when the chair was manufactured, but I'll call it vintage. It has an American Colonial style.
American Colonial Style Rocking Chair Before
Before
The chair itself is sturdy, but there was damage to the finish.

Damaged finish
Damage to the finish.
I could not locate the name of the manufacturer, but there is a sticker affixed underneath the seat that reads, "Wayside Inn".

Wayside Inn label
The label underneath the chair seat reads, "Wayside Inn".

After

I painted the chair in two coats of Graphite and applied a coat of black wax.

Rocking chair painted in Graphite chalk paint
Vintage rocking chair painted in Graphite and black wax.
I sanded the paint to give it a smooth finish.

Chalk paint sanded for smooth finish
Sanded for a smooth finish.
I continued to gently sand back the paint in specific areas to give it a worn finish.

Sand for worn distressed finish
A worn finish compliments the vintage rocking chair.
I didn't paint underneath the seat in order to preserve the old label.

Preserved label

Comments

Visit Me on Pinterest!

Popular Posts