Easy Flower Garden Blanket - Free Pattern!

This is a beautiful patchwork crochet pattern with lots of fun colors. It was easy to work up and best of all the pattern was free! 

Crochet a flower garden.


The original free pattern is "Orange Blossom by DROPS Design". You can get the free pattern HERE (no affiliate). The pattern link also includes tutorial videos. The pattern consists of 4 different kinds of squares which are repeated six times. I tweaked the pattern layout and colors slightly, but I don't think you can go wrong following the original pattern and colorway. I renamed my specific blanket "Flower Garden" since I didn't use the color orange in my version.

I like to block the squares prior to joining. I worked on the blanket in the winter, so it was fun to have a flower garden to play with while I dreamed of the warmer Spring days ahead.

BLOCKING

Preparing to block crochet squares

There are many squares to this blanket, so I worked on them in batches. I dip the squares in diluted laundry soap. The brand I use is Eucalan (link below to product I use). 

Eucalan Fine Fabric Wash 16.9oz-Lavender (affiliate)


It's a concentrated laundy soap with lanolin and best of all a no-rinse formula. I personally love the lavendar scent. I also use Eucalan for all my hand-washable items. For clothing that was worn but not quite ready for a wash, I dilute the detergent into a spray bottle and give them a quick spritz. It freshens up the clothes and leaves a fresh but not heavy scent.

Wet method crochet blocking

I roll the wet squares in a towel to remove the excess moisture. Next I pin them in place onto blocking squares.
Blocked crochet squares before joining

The smaller squares were taking too long to dry, so for the larger squares I spritzed them with the diluted laundry soap and then pinned them into place.

Use foam blocking mats for crochet squares

My little crochet flower garden was growing!

Interlocking blocking mats are easy to reconfigure.


I joined the squares with an off white and used the same color to create a simple border. 

Crochet floral garden blanket

The basic colors I used for the blanket were pink, yellow, blue, and green.

Cheerful crochet colors

It's difficult to capture a photo of the full blanket, but the photo below gives you a general idea of the overall finished pattern.

Flower garden crochet blanket

The floral squares have lacy pattern to them which helps keep the blanket light and airy. The yarn is 100% cotton.
Cotton yarn for crochet blanket

Lovely crochet garden blossoms blanket.

Welcome to my crochet garden!

Patchwork crochet squares

I finished with a light pink rope stitch. I find the rope stitch helps prevent curling.

The rope border prevents curling.

Fun and cheerful crochet colors!

I hope you enjoyed today's project! If you're looking for a fun blanket pattern to crochet then I definitely give this one a thumb's up!

This post was published by The Black Sheep Shoppe (me)
on behalf of Granny Magic Studio (also me).


Comments

Visit Me on Pinterest!

Popular Posts