Ugly Chair: Before and After

If you have a chair like this then first let me apologize for calling it ugly. This isn't my style of chair, but it came with the furnished beach condo we bought, so I need to make it work until the budget allows for replacement. Other than not being my style, I think of it as ugly because the rattan finish was worn over the years and underneath was really dusty and dirty.

Outdated rattan chair gets a makeover.

I had about half a day to work some magic on this chair during a recent visit to the beach. So many other projects were underway, but I wanted to squeeze out a little time to freshen up the chair. I vacuumed the chair (especially the bottom and underside), then gave it a good scrub with my favorite deglosser/degreaser (this is my preferred brand as it works amazing and it is a no rinse formula). 

Included here are links to the products I've actually used in this project:


The deglosser is no rinse, so after it was dry I appled a two coats of chalk paint. I have a lot of blues and greens in the living room, and wanted to balance it out with a few touches of yellow. So I used Marigold by Jolie Chalk Paint (the color equivalent in the Annie Sloan brand is Arles). 


After the paint was dry, I used a foam brush to apply a couple of clear coats of poly (I think the brand was varathane from Home Depot). While the paint was drying I steam cleaned the fabric cushion. I used a small steamer that I have for steaming clothes. I think a larger upholstery steamer would have worked better, but this is what I had available.

 

Overall it was a very quick and easy project:  1. Clean, 2. Paint, 3. Seal. Easy Peasy!

Rattan chair painted with chalk paint.

Well ALMOST done! It looked so much lighter and brighter (and cleaner!). But it was missing something . . .

Chair makeover during.

So I purchased a comfy accent pillow with a casual beach vibe and it fits the chair perfectly!


Painted yellow rattan chair.

And I must admit that I've grown fond of this chair now! It's still not my style, but the chair rocks a little and it swivels, which it did before, but now that I put a little of my own touch to the chair, it means a bit more to me. I swivel it towards the patio doors and watch the ocean while I sip my morning coffee.

Painted yellow rattan chair with comfy pillow.

Thanks for reading through the project and stopping by my blog.

Budget friendly chair makeover.


Comments

Visit Me on Pinterest!

Popular Posts