Painted Rattan Console Table

I planned on buying new furniture for our beach rental living room. But apparently the pandemic has caused a shortage and long delays within the furniture industry. I was lucky enough to get a new sofa and loveseat on my last trip to North Carolina, but the new chairs I ordered are still on backorder four months later. I was hoping to also buy some beachy tables, but that didn't work out this trip either. Sigh!

 Oceanfront condo available for rent North Topsail Beach, NC.

Here's a photo of what we started with a couple of years ago:

Before. This living room is screaming for an update!

To freshen things up in the meantime, I decided to add a pop of color to the rattan console table beneath the TV. There is a lot of rattan furniture that came with the condo, and I swore I wouldn't paint it. Too many nooks and crannies take forever to paint! But hey I'm a painter, so I figured I could at least paint the console table while I (im)patiently wait for new furniture.

I removed the glass shelf from the top of the table as well as the wood shelf from the bottom.

Preparing to paint the rattan furniture.

I flipped the table upside down and tackled the inside.

Flip the furniture upside down.

I was getting great coverage on the first coat and was confident at this point that the project would only require two coats. Yeah!

Paint colors with lots of pigment don't require multiple coats.

So many nooks and crannies to paint! But I tackled that easily with my short handled brush. It used to be called the Vintage Effects brush, but apparently it has a new name. It is one of my favorite brushes for using with chalk paint.

   

 I dipped a little of the chalk paint on the brush and then swiped the brush this way and that way. 

How to quickly paint rattan furniture. 

Then I pounced a little more paint here and there until I had good coverage.

Painting rattan. Swipe and dab. Repeat.

I was pleased with the result, but I started having second thoughts on how the color would work with the color of the new chairs on backorder. 

Painting a rattan console table.

So I went back and added a touch of blue over the detailed areas. The green is Antibes Green (sorry I don't have a link, but it is a lime green and this product is similar in color) and the blue is Deep Lagoon by Jolie.

Adding a pop of color!

I finished up by painting the bottom shelf then I used a foam brush to apply and dab some liquid sealant all over the paint. 

I used a liquid sealant to quickly seal the chalk paint.

If the table doesn't work with the new chairs then I plan to give it fresh coat in another color. I would also like to add an accent feature in shiplap behind the television, but I haven't convinced my husband about that project yet. Stay tuned for more updates!

Waiting for new furniture.

This project was fairly fast and easy, so I started thinking maybe I could paint the rest of the rattan furniture. Maybe. But I would prefer to get something new.

Slowly adding color to the room.

In the meantime, I am pleased with the new look of the table. My photos don't do it justice. I do plan to get some beachy looking baskets to place on the bottom shelf to hold the DVDs and books. Baskets will help keep things neat and tidy and give it a more finished look.

New baskets will help keep the items tidy.

Across the wall from the console table is another piece I painted. It didn't sell at my booth, but I think it works perfectly in its new home.

This painted cabinet works perfectly.

If you're in the area of North Topsail Beach, NC and would like to visit my beach house, please visit THIS LINK to book your stay. As of April 2021 we still have two weeks available in May and another two in August. The rest of the summer is booked.

The mermaid cabinet. Handpainted.

I had big intentions of painting the dresser in the second bedroom on this trip. But the beach was calling and I got distracted. Next trip. Maybe.

Shipwatch 1308. Oceanfront condo at North Topsail Beach NC.
The beach distracted me from my painting projects!

Thanks so much for stopping by The Black Sheep Shoppe today!

Comments

Visit Me on Pinterest!

Popular Posts