Lovely Vintage China Cabinet


Today I'm sharing with you a lovely vintage china cabinet (circa 1920's). I finished it last November, but I haven't had the time to move it to my booth until today. As we were getting ready to head out the door I remembered I still needed to take photos, so I shot some quick ones before I moved it.



Before

Yes, the "before" looks lovely. But the photo is deceptive. It was dirty and the finish was in poor condition. A large portion of the veneer on the panels disintegrated after I started cleaning it. So I sanded and prepped it for painting.
The "before" photo is deceptive.
It was in worse condition than the photo depicts. 
The back of the cabinet is marked "French Walnut" and the style was common in the early 1900's.

Back of the cabinet.

After

I painted both the interior and exterior in a neutral color scheme of Old White (Annie Sloan Chalk Paint).
Painted in Annie Sloan Chalk Paint Old White.
Sealed with a soft clear wax.
I sanded the paint smooth for a worn finish and then further applied medium distressing along the edges. The entire piece was hand waxed with soft clear wax.

Sanded to a worn finish with medium distressing to the edges.
The front legs are very elegant.
It has a charming handle on the door. It didn't come with a key, but I had one in my stash that fit.

Super cute door handle!
Skeleton key from my stash.
I secured the key to the handle with a ribbon
with the hopes that it won't go missing from my booth.
The interior has 3 removable shelves.

Three interior shelves.
Someone recently told me they thought the back had to be removed in order to get the shelves out. So I'm including photos and instructions on how to easily remove the shelves. First lift up and tilt the bottom shelf and then lay it flat on the bottom of the cabinet. Repeat this step with the other shelves.

To remove the shelves, start with the bottom shelf 
then lift up and tilt.
Lay all three shelves flat on the bottom.
Then simply tilt the shelves up and out.

Then tilt up and out the door.
The shelves should be interchangeable; however, these shelves seem to prefer a certain order. So I labeled the inside corners 1, 2, 3 (the top being #1). 

Labeled order of shelves with #1 being the top shelf.
It's now in the booth waiting for a new home!


Comments

Popular Posts