Vintage Rocking Chair



I'm getting caught up on blog posts for projects that I recently finished. So you might be hearing from me quite a bit this week. Today's post is for a vintage solid wood rocking chair that I found at a thrift store. This is one of my favorite styles of rocking chairs and I always pick them up if the chair is in fairly good condition. And if the price is right :-) It is very similar in style to the other rocking chairs that I refinished in the past year: the Colonial Style Rocking Chair and the chair that I refinished for my daughter.



The chair was manufactured by Nichols & Stone Co. in Gardner, Mass. Overall the finish wasn't in horrible condition, but it was worn here and there. Nevertheless the construction was solid and it has a charming style.


I sanded the seat and re-stained it in Prairie Wheat and sealed it with a top coat (General Finishes). Next I painted the rest of the chair in Old White and sealed the paint with a soft clear wax (Annie Sloan Chalk Paint). Now the chair has a neutral color scheme that works well with most decors, or it can be dressed up with chair pads in pink or blue for a nursery.



The new stain is lighter than the original finish.

I added light distressing to the edges.




Thanks for stopping by!
Post a Comment

Popular Posts