Desk Part 5: Finishing Touches


This is it! Part 5 and the final (I promise!) post about the desk. I usually just write a "before/after" blog post, but for this project I decided to document my progress along the way. 


Initially I ordered two stencils for the project. One was a flourish for the panels and the other was the text "bienvenue" (French for "welcome") for the center panel. Unfortunately the second stencil was delayed forever so I decided to move the project forward without it. As luck would have it the stencil arrived a week after I finished the project. I debated not applying it, but the desk looked unfinished to me, so I proceeded to add it using the same raised stencil technique that I used on the other stencils. 

As I mentioned in Part 4, I debated whether or not there was too much contrast between the dark stained surface and the lighter paint colors. In real life the wood grain actually peaks through the stain which doesn't show up well in the photos. It's not actually as flat looking as it appears in the photos so I decided to leave the top as-is.


As far as desks go the twin pedestal style is my all time favorite. The seating area in the center gives a balance to the design. It also allows for a main work space in the center with room to spread out on either side. The desk functions especially well as a sewing or craft table with the added bonus of drawers for storage. Because the back of the desk is finished it can be placed either centered in a room or up against the wall. I think a functionally versatile piece adds value over the long haul.

The desk can be placed centered in a room or up against a wall.
The top is stained in General Finishes Java Gel.
The base is painted in a custom mix of Louis Blue and Old Ochre.
Plenty of storage!

A centered work space with room to spread out on either side.

Raised stencils were incorporated into the design on the panels.

I selected stencils to give a more feminine touch to desk.



Click on the links below if you would like to follow the project from start to finish.





Post a Comment

Popular Posts