Friday, April 29, 2016

Rustic Step Stool


I've been on the lookout for a step stool for an out-of-town client (aka my sister). I thought she said she wanted it for her enclosed back porch, so when I found this rustic step stool at the Lebanon Peddler's Mall, I texted her a photo and she said, "Yes!"



Before

However during an exchange of texts about the design plan, she indicated it will be for her kitchen. Well this particular style will definitely not coordinate with her newly renovated kitchen, so I told her not to worry that I will find her a more suitable option. So then she said she wants it for her back porch after all. But my brother-in-law isn't too sure (he said it would look better at my house). I'll let them debate it out before I mark it sold.

Original photo at Lebanon Peddler's Mall.
It was in very rough shape.
Serious chipping of paint.
The writing on the bottom of the step stool reads,
"Precision Truing, 13 E. 6th St, Covington, KY".

After

My goal was to make it clean and fresh while still retaining the rustic look. First I sanded off as much of the loose paint as possible and next sanded the top so it was smooth and less likely to cause splinters.

Walnut stained top.
I stained the top in an antique walnut finish
.
Base painted in Old Ochre.
The base is painted in Old Ochre (Annie Sloan Chalk Paint).

It measures 24" high x 15.5" wide  x 12.5" deep.

I applied a couple of coats of clear urethane to protect the new finish. Hopefully it lasts for years to come.

The step stool still has a rustic finish, but now it's clean and fresh.

So for now the step stool is in my living room waiting for a final decision to be made. Will it end up on my sister's back porch or in my booth? Only time will tell! Thanks for stopping by!
Post a Comment