Vintage End Tables by Mersman


As I mentioned in my previous blog post, I found this set of end tables recently at a thrift store. They were the perfect project to get back into the swing of things after my return from vacation.


Before

The tables are solid wood and were manufactured by Mersman (#8713). Mersman cranked out quite a few of these tables and they are showing up frequently in thrift stores. Which surprises me because the quality is top notch. Perhaps it's the wood finish that is dating the pieces? Still, the lines are classic and really are elegant.

This pair was in fairly good condition. There were metal covers on the bottom of the legs (I'm not sure what they are called, but I call them furniture socks), but three of them were missing from the set. I considered trying to find replacements, but decided it would look just fine without them. I cleaned both tables and then lightly sanded the surface. There were a few nicks and scratches which I choose to leave as-is. I think that adds to the charm of vintage furniture.


Only 5 of the 8 furniture socks were with the set.
I simply removed them and painted the wood underneath.


After

I painted the tables in Old Ochre (Annie Sloan Chalk Paint). I just love the color. To me it is quiet elegance. According to Annie Sloan's website, "Old Ochre is the faded darkened cream colour seen on old French painted furniture, woodwork and door exteriors."  It almost looks like an off-white in the photos, so I took a photo of it against a white jewelry box for comparison.


Comparison of white against Old Ochre.
I actually bought the paint prior to leaving on vacation with the intention of using it on a vintage secretary desk. But I wasn't quite sure if it was the color I wanted, so I decided to test it out on a some other projects first. I'm very pleased with the color and think it will work well on the secretary.

I applied light distressing to accentuate the details and edges. The drawer pulls were also painted in Old Ochre along with a light java glaze to give them just a hint of contrast.











Comments

  1. Any chance you still have those little sock/feet things? I bought a table very similar to this and it only has 3 of the 4! ginasmc@bellsouth.net

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

A note regarding comments: It's OK to express if you don't like a project as long as it is done so respectfully. Of course positive feedback is always appreciated! Please note that comments on older posts are moderated to reduce spam.

Popular Posts