Buyer's Remorse?

Antique chifferobe armoire

I've been stalking this antique chifferobe / armoire at a local Goodwill store. It was priced at $250 which is way outside of my budget, so I had to walk away. Weeks later it was marked down to $198. Recently it was marked down again to $98 and it was 50% off day, so I snatched it up.


Doors temporarily held shut with rubber band.
Doors temporarily held shut with rubber band.

But after I brought it home the buyer's remorse set in. Of course I inspected it when it was still in the store, so I knew the doors wouldn't stay shut. Someone had added some wood shelves to the wardrobe side of the cabinet and I thought the shelves were preventing the doors from latching correctly. Wrong! I removed the shelves when I got home and that didn't solve the problem.

Ball catch system
Ball catch system

The doors have a ball catch latching system in place. Each door has a catch at the top and another at the bottom. The striker plates have worn away over the years and although the doors shut, the striker plate doesn't catch enough to keep the doors shut.

Strike plate of ball catch system worn down.
Strike plate of ball catch system worn down.

So my next plan was to purchase replacement ball and catch latches, but the problem is removing the old ones without completely damaging the cabinet. The old ones are encased securely and I'm not sure I can get them out.

Interior of chifferobe.  Wardrobe side was modified in past to add more shelves.
Interior of chifferobe.
Wardrobe side was modified in past to add more shelves.

I'm kicking around the idea of adding some magnetic latches to help secure the doors, but there are space constraints, so I'm not sure that will do the trick.

Original shelves inside of chifferobe.
Original shelves inside of chifferobe.

My next idea is to remove the doors and the interior shelves. Then add a couple of shelves that span the entire width and re-purpose it into a display cabinet. Or maybe cut it down and re-work it into a bench? Let me know if you have any ideas because I'm stuck at this point, and I don't want to leave it sitting in my dining room for months!




Popular Posts