The Doors are Fixed on the Chifferobe!

Short story: After a few bumps along the way, the doors on the chifferobe are now fixed. Keep reading if you want the longer version of the story.

If you recall I have another chifferobe on my project list (click HERE to read about my buyer's remorse). It's a bit of a beast and is currently residing in my dining room. I was anxious to get started on the project but the doors wouldn't stay shut and needed to be repaired. Plan A is to fix the doors. In the meantime, I used a rubber band to keep the doors shut as a temporary fix.

I wasn't sure if the doors could be repaired or not, so my Plan B is to remove the doors and create re-purpose it into something else. Barbara M. suggested re-purposing it into a wine cabinet, and that's the way the project would go if the doors couldn't be repaired. I felt confident it would fabulous as a wine cabinet! But my husband didn't want to give up so easily on Plan A (he's stubborn like that).

Doors held shut with rubber-band
Doors held shut with rubber-band



The first step was to remove the original ball catch latches and strike plates and replace them with magnetic latches that would be counter sunk into the existing holes. (Thank you Lori P. for the suggestion!)

Removing original ball latch
Removing original ball latch

One of the latches was missing the ball, but the photo below shows what the latches look like after they were removed from the cabinet.

Vintage ball catch latches removed.
Vintage ball catch latches removed.

Unfortunately the magnetic latches didn't fit into the existing holes. So my husband drilled a new hole to countersink the magnets.

Drilling the 1st hole for magnetic latch
Drilling the 1st hole for the magnetic latch

He drilled a second hole on the door for the second part of the magnet. I was super-excited that we were going to save the doors, but alas the magnets weren't strong enough to hold the doors shut. Remember these doors are solid wood and quite heavy. I think the magnets we choose weren't designed to hold that much weight. I was ready to move onto Plan B, remove the doors, and build a wine cabinet. But my husband was determined to save them.

Drilling the 2nd hole for the magnetic latch
Drilling the 2nd hole for the magnetic latch

Cynthia B. had a great suggestion to replace the pull knobs with some antique latches. Which was a great idea, but I couldn't find any locally and was too impatient to order online in case they didn't work it would further delay the project. So we purchased double roller latches from Home Depot and installed one at the top of each of the doors. I'm a little short of photos of the process because my husband gets cranky when working on projects and told me to put the camera down and help him was very focused on the project and needed me to help him instead of taking photos. 

Double roller latches installed.
Double roller latches installed.

We mounted the corresponding prong latch to the inside of the doors. This latch system was strong. Or so we thought. The doors shut and latched nicely, but *POOF!* one of the doors popped back open! Ugh!

Prong for double roller latch system.
Prong for double roller latch system.

I was SO ready for Plan B at this point, but my husband noticed that the hinges on the doors were not mounted flush on both sides. The flat piece on the door was chiseled out so the hinge sat flush. But the side attached to the cabinet wasn't flush. So he removed the door and then hand carved an area for the hinges to rest in, put the door back on, and Eureka! It worked! Adjusting the hinges did the trick and the doors latched and stayed shut. My husband is truly amazing -- sorry ladies but this guy's already taken. 

Hinge flush on one side only.
Hinge flush on one side only.

We now have doors that latch and stay shut!

Doors stay shut with new latch system!
Doors stay shut with new latch system!

The new latches stand out a bit more, but I think they will blend in nicely once the piece is painted. I was so focused on the doors that I was a bit stuck for inspiration on a design for the project. I've been kicking around a few ideas, but nothing seemed to fit. But this morning something came to mind, so I'm going out shopping for supplies. I just hope I can find what I've pictured in my head. I'll post an update once I get the project underway.

Interior of chifferobe with new double roller latches.
Interior of chifferobe with new double roller latches.

Comments

Popular Posts