Monday, January 16, 2017

Thrift Store Coffee Table


The thrift store table nobody would buy. Except me. I bought it!
The thrift store table nobody would buy.
Except me. I bought it!
I found this coffee table outside in the front of a thrift store. I asked the worker for the price, and he told me "99 cents". I told him that was too low, and asked again for the price. He told me it's 99¢ because no one will buy it. What? No one will buy it? Challenge accepted!




Before

The table has clean modern lines with a starburst patterned veneered top.The sides have a reeded walnut trim. To be honest I wouldn't have known what the trim was called except that the sticker underneath had a description which gave it away.

Reeded walnut trim.
Reeded walnut trim.

The table was scratched and REALLY dirty. So the first order of business was to give it a good cleaning.

Thrift store table with lots of spider webs.
No extra charge for the spider webs.

I know a lot of people use TSP (tri-sodium phosphate) for cleaning used furniture, and although it's effective, I find that it's too harsh and many times something less toxic will do the trick. So I wiped it down with Mr. Clean diluted in water, then a rinse of clean water, followed by an extra wipe down with Lysol wipes. I didn't take photos of each step of the cleaning process because my hands were so dirty!

Clean, rinse & sanitize
Clean, rinse & sanitize
I used my orbital sander and 80-grit sandpaper to quickly smooth out the surface scratches.

The orbital sander quickly removed the surface scratches.
The orbital sander quickly removed the surface scratches.

Once it was clean and dry, I applied Old Ochre (Annie Sloan Chalk Paint). I used a 2" angled brush for this project. It worked well on the flat surfaces as well as the nooks and crannies.

Applying Old Ochre paint with 2" angled brush.
Applying Old Ochre paint with 2" angled brush.

I followed the grain of the starburst veneer pattern when applying the paint to the top. The temperature outside was just above freezing, so it took a long time for the paint to dry. After it was dry I sanded the paint smooth, and then applied a second coat.

Waiting for the first coat of paint to dry.
Waiting for the first coat of paint to dry.

After

I sanded the second coat of paint smooth with a fine-grit sanding sponge. I used heavier pressure on the sanding sponge to wear away some of the paint on the top, sides, and legs. I used 220-grit sand paper to add heavier distressing to the edges.

Thrift store table painted in Old Ochre (Annie Sloan Chalk Paint).
Thrift store table painted in Old Ochre (Annie Sloan Chalk Paint).

Old Ochre is a beautiful neutral color with a soft beige undertone. I included a white candle stand in the photo to show how the Old Ochre contrasts with pure white.

Coffee table painted in Old Ochre contrasted with white candle holder.
Coffee table painted in Old Ochre contrasted with white candle holder.

I added varied amounts of distressing to the reeded walnut trim. Hopefully it's no longer a table that no one wants to buy! But I'll price it a little higher than ninety-nine cents! 😉

Varied distressing applied to the reeded walnut trim.
Varied distressing applied to the reeded walnut trim.

If you're a new visitor to my blog I'd like to invite you to sign up to follow by email (top right of the screen) to receive notifications of new projects, or you can follow me on my Facebook page. New friends are always welcome!

Supply List

Post a Comment