Rustic Shaker Style Blanket Chest

Today's project is a Shaker style blanket chest. The finish was a little worse for wear, and the top was broken. Which means the price was right, so I snatched it up.

Shaker style blanket chest in damaged condition.
 Before. 



Before & During

The main problem was the broken wood off front right corner of the top. I couldn't work it into my design as-is, so I decided to fill it in and shape it with wood filler.

Broken wood in front right corner.
Broken wood in front right corner.
I started by applying a base coat of wood filler. After it was dry I sanded it and then applied a second coat.

Repairing broken wood with layers of wood filler.
First base layer of wood filler.

I continued applying coats of wood filler to the damaged area until it was built up enough to shape it similar to the original shape. The photo below shows the second application of wood filler.

Second layer of wood filler to repair broken wood.
Second layer of wood filler.

I probably had about 3 - 4 applications of wood filler. After I was satisfied with the overall shape, I used a flexible sanding sponge to smooth it out.

Shaping wood filler repair with a flexible sanding sponge.
Shaping wood filler.

Before I began painting I stained the wood filler which would blend in better after sanding and distressing the eventual painted finish.

Staining the wood filler.
Staining the wood filler.
 The next part to address was the scratched surface on the top.

Multiple scratches in the wood.
Multiple scratches in the wood.

I used my orbital sander and 60-grit sandpaper. Some of the scratches were deep, so I didn't sand the wood completely smooth as I didn't want to damage the wood. I planned on a rustic finish in the end, so a few scratches would blend it. But I got the worst of them out.

Preparing to smooth the wood with an orbital sander.
Preparing to smooth the wood with an orbital sander.

And below is the blanket chest finally ready for some paint! You'll notice the stain I used on the wood filler repair on the top right corner isn't an exact match to the rest of the finish. It won't be noticeable later.

Blanket chest prepped and ready for paint!
Blanket chest prepped and ready for paint!

After

I applied one coat of Duck Egg blue chalk paint and sanded it back for a faded worn finish. I sealed the paint with soft clear wax, and finished with a light coat of decorative glaze.

After: Rustic Shaker style blanket chest painted in Duck Egg blue.
After: Rustic Shaker style blanket chest.

 You'll notice in the photo below that the surface scratches blend in with the overall design.

Surface scratches aren't obvious  when they become part of the design.
Surface scratches aren't obvious
when they become part of the design.

I debated replacing the drawer knobs, but in the end I decided to keep them and painted them Old White. The drawer opens for plenty of storage.

The blanket chest offers plenty of storage. Painted in a rustic finish with Duck Egg blue.
The blanket chest offers plenty of storage.

The top opens for additional storage. The interior is lined with cedar.

Extra storage is in the top portion of the blanket chest (painted in Duck Egg blue).
Extra storage is in the top portion of the blanket chest.

There's plenty of room in the top section for a quilt or two.

The storage area is lined with cedar. The exterior is painted in Duck Egg blue.
The storage area is lined with cedar.

My booth is currently woefully empty, which is great because I had some fantastic sales, but I'm behind buying inventory and getting it ready to sell. I took the blanket chest to the booth today, but as I write this I'm falling in love with it again, and might up the price. ;-)


Thanks so much for stopping by today! I hope you enjoyed this project as much as I did. If you noticed the tray in the "after" photos, it's another project that I just finished up. It was so fun to work on and is one of my favorite projects of all time! I'll try to get a blog post about it in the next day or two. In the meantime, I'll include my supply list below in case you're interested in creating a similar look.

Dimensions: 39" wide x 19" deep x 22" high.

Supply List

Below are the supplies I used for this project. Some (not all) links are affiliate links which  means I earn a (very) small commission (ha ha) if you make a purchase. It doesn't cost you extra, but it helps support the time and effort of maintaining the blog. Thank you for your support and understanding!
Post a Comment

Popular Posts