Country Table and Chairs


This table and chair set has been in a friend's family for over 40 years. She remembers it being used for many family gatherings in the country. My friend needed to make space in her home, and she's been trying to sell it over the summer without luck. She asked me to see what I could do with it, and I agreed to help her get it sold.



Before

The set is solid wood and is very sturdy. But the finish has worn over the years.

Vintage arrow back chairs with damaged finish
Vintage arrow back chairs with damaged finish

The finish on the table top was especially worn. However, the wear was mostly on the center of the table, and the drop leaves were in better shape.

Solid wood drop leaf table with severe damage to finish
Solid wood drop leaf table with severe damage to finish
My initial plan was to re-stain the top, but after the old finish was sanded off it was apparent that the leaves wouldn't take the stain the same as the center. So I changed my plans at this point and decided to paint the top.


After


The base of the table was painted in County Grey which has a neutral green undertone. The top was painted in Old White for contrast and a fresh and clean look.

Table and chair set painted in County Grey and Old White
Table and chair set painted in County Grey and Old White

I applied a small amount of distressing and wear to the top and sealed the paint with two coats of soft clear wax.

Light distressing applied to the table and chairs.
Light distressing applied to the table and chairs.

The distressing to the painted chair honors it's vintage past and adds some visual interest.

The painted chairs were distressed to honor their vintage past
The painted chairs were distressed to honor their vintage past

The same distressing was applied to the seats, too.

Distressing and wear was applied to the Country Grey paint
Distressing and wear was applied to the Country Grey paint

The dimensions are 31" wide x 42" long x 29" high. With the leaves expanded it is approximately 64" wide. The table works well in a small space, such as a kitchen, but with the leaves open it will expand to accommodate a large family gathering. My husband thinks it would work well in a family room for a game table.

Drop leaf table
The table more than doubles in size with the leaves exteneded

I took the set to my booth at the Lebanon Peddler's Mall this weekend and am keeping my fingers crossed for a quick sale for my friend.

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog today!


Comments

Popular Posts