Vintage Wood Side Table


This little table had definitely seen better days. It was so wobbly I was almost afraid to touch it. But I gave it a thorough inspection and after careful evaluation I just knew I could fix it. I won't keep you in suspense -- it was fixable! And now it is one of my favorite pieces.



Before/During

Unfortunately, I don't have a true "before" picture. I thought I took one, but where it went is anyone's guess. But I do have a few "during" pictures which should give you an idea of the overall condition of the table.

The table has two tiers and I determined the wobbliness originated from the top tier. I initially thought to just tighten the screws, but they weren't budging. So I decided to remove the screws and add some wood glue. But again the screws weren't budging. So I promoted myself to Project Manager and had my husband remove the screws (it wasn't easy for him either, but he did it).



I worked on the table over the Thanksgiving weekend. TJ was visiting for the holiday and he was with me every step of the way.

Table top removed.
The photo below shows the overall condition of the table.
Before: The wood table was in poor condition.
Sometimes the old wear and tear is worth incorporating into the design. But not in this case. I sanded out most of the scratches and dings.
Close up of damaged wood finish,

After

I'm happy to report the table is no longer wobbly. In fact it is as solid as a rock. I painted the table in Old White and added a Parisian stencil to the top.

Table painted Old White with Stencil
After: Painted Old White with Parisian Stencil

 The top has a scalloped edge which I added light to medium distressing.

Scalloped edge
Scalloped trim around edge
Here's a closer look at the distressing on the edges.

Distressing on edges of table
Distressing applied around edges

For the stencil, I applied Antoinette Pink as the base color. Then I added Old Ochre and Graphite for extra dimension. After the stencil was dry I sanded it for a more distressed look. I applied soft clear wax to the entire piece to seal the finish.
Cafe Paris stencil
Cafe Paris stencil applied to the top.

The table itself has clean elegant lines. The legs are square with a slight flair at the bottom.

Two tiered painted table
Two tiered table with clean elegant lines

It's that busy time of the year and I've had to slow down on projects to focus on preparing for the holidays. But I'm still squeezing a few projects in here and there which I will share with you as time permits. I hope you are enjoying the holiday season. Be sure to take time out from your busy schedule to enjoy time with family and friends.

Post a Comment

Popular Posts