Crisp and Clean and No More Green!




The project I am sharing with you today is a revamped 1960's bookcase. It's made of solid wood and looks to have been painted in what I call a "1970's green". I've seen a lot of furniture in thrift store painted in this color and it reminds me of a cedar chest from my childhood that was painted in a similar shade of green.


Before

I couldn't pass this bookcase up because the price was right, and who doesn't need another bookcase? 

The paint was a bit worn and dated and there were lots of surface scratches especially on the top. But otherwise it is sturdy.


It also had little stickers stuck to it throughout. I used the bright white of the stickers as my inspiration for the makeover!

After


I sanded the paint off the top and then applied a stain (Prairie Wheat by General Finishes). I painted the base in Pure White (Annie Sloan Chalk Paint). The top is sealed with a clear top coat and the base is sealed with clear soft wax. I chose this neutral color scheme thinking that it would work great in an office or even in a nursery and then transition nicely to an older child's room. I'm a big fan of furniture that has versatility!


I used my orbital sander to remove the paint from the top which also smoothed out the many scratches. Now it is oh-so-smooth.


I initially took photos outside, but the sunshine was so bright on the pure white that it completely washed out the bookcase. So the "after" photos were taken inside just before I took it to my booth.


I also took outdoor photos of an antique rocking chair that I refinished, but again the photos were washed out. So I'll try to get another photo shoot in this week, but if not, then I'll just use the outdoor photos ("done is better than perfect"). Temperatures remain unseasonably mild here in southern Ohio for November and I've been thankful for the opportunity to continue working comfortably outdoors.

Comments

Popular Posts