Thursday, November 12, 2015

Antique Rocking Chair Painted in Country Grey


I can't seem to resist a rocking chair. Especially one as lovely as this. I wish you could stop by and take it for a test drive, but if not then you'll just have to take my word for it that it is oh-so-comfortable.


Before


Overall it was in great shape especially considering its age. I believe it is late 1800's or early 1900's. The caning on both the seat and the back are in near perfect condition so I suspect it may have been re-caned at some point. However, there are tiny nail holes around the seat which tells me there was an upholstered cushion added at some point although the cushion was long gone when I bought the chair. The details on the wood appear to be hand carved. They don't make them like this anymore and this chair was built to last.

This next photo is a shot to show more of the details of the construction on the underside of the chair.



Another shot showing the construction. Oh is that a cute little doggy in the background?



Why yes it is! I had a surprise visitor for the day and was happy to dog-sit. Little TJ is blind and he loves to bask in the sunshine. He stayed with me on my deck the entire day while I worked on the chair. 





After

I chose a color scheme of Country Grey with accents of Old White on the caned areas. This was my first time using Country Grey and I love it. It is a soft creamy color with more of a beige tone than Old Ochre but also a hint of a green undertone. 



As I said the caning is in great shape and professionally done. It has a subtle curve to the back for added comfort.
Overview of the seat caning:



If you look closely you can see the tiny upholstery holes around the perimeter of the caning. Or maybe not -- it's difficult to pick up with the camera.



Here's a shot of the distressing that I applied throughout. My hope is that I achieved the right balance with the distressing -- just enough to acknowledge accentuate the details and acknowledge this history of the chair.


Front cross spindle:



I painted the caned areas in Country Grey and then dry brushed with Old White. Next I lightly sanded the area to give it a worn finish. The color transition between the Country Grey and Old White is somewhat subtle.



I added slightly more distressing on areas that would have received more wear over the years.



I love the elegant details on the front of the seat.



I finished the project with a coat of soft clear wax and now the finish is super smooth and luscious to the touch.
Post a Comment