Monday, October 12, 2015

Vintage Chair with a Rope Seat Support



This darling vintage chair was on my project for almost a year. But I was determined to get it refinished before the year mark, and finish it I did. It feels great to get another project off my list!



Before




There were two main challenges for me on this project.  The first was the cushion wasn't original to the chair, so I needed to figure out just how to make the right replacement. The second challenge was the seat support itself was strung with rope and needed to be replaced. I haven't worked on that kind of seat support before, hence the procrastination.

The top layer was a needlepoint fabric attached with upholstery tacks.


Underneath the first layer was a vintage fabric sewn onto a pillow and nailed into place.


The foam fabric was the final layer and it was so old it disintegrated when I pulled it off.


That gets us down to the seat support itself. As I mentioned it was strung with rope and the rope was broken in places, so it needed to be replaced.


I purchased some heavy duty jute string. I taped off the end of the string so it would be easier to thread through the holes, and then started weaving it back and forth.


I tried to leave a little "give" to the string so it wasn't too tight and would have a little give to it. My end result wasn't as precise as the original, but it's very sturdy.




After

I didn't initially plan to paint this chair, but at the last minute I decided to go ahead and paint it in Old Ochre so it would have a neutral finish. I cut a template of the seat and then added a new pad, batting, and fabric. I attached the new seat cushion with a staple gun, and then adhered a trim of jute string with a heat gun to cover the staples.






Post a Comment