Cabinet on Wheels



I don't really know what to call this piece, so I'm calling it a cabinet. On wheels (because it has wheels, but they are hidden underneath). Without eyes (I'll explain later). I think it's original purpose is to use in an office, but it could easily be used as a side table or night stand. In any event, I sort of messed this project up, but I did my best to save it, and think in the end it worked out OK. Not a home run, but good enough.

Before

Before.
My husband spotted the cabinet at a thrift store and he liked it, but it's not my usual style. My husband likes more contemporary/modern furniture. I like vintage, farmhouse, cottage, shabby chic, rustic, whimsical, etc. (really the list goes on, but you get the picture!). So we compromised with a traditional style while furnishing our home. But when we're at thrift stores we tend to buy what we really love (even though I will sell it later). The price was right on this piece, so I decided to go for it. 


The problem was I couldn't find any inspiration for the make-over, so it sat in the garage for months. Meanwhile, every time I walked by I felt it was watching me. Don't you think the notches for the drawer pulls look like eyes? Well I thought so. It would have kept on sitting there, but I made a deal with myself to get the older projects sitting in limbo done and out of the house, so this cabinet was next on the list.

Knob for cabinet (ignore background fabric).
Then I found this pretty little knob (see photo) at Hobby Lobby. It was 50% off and I thought it would really dress up the cabinet. So I decided to fill in the notches in the drawers and use the knob on the cabinet. Bondo probably would have done the trick nicely, but I didn't have any, so I decided to use wood filler. My husband warned me the wood filler would crack. But even though the project sat for months on end I was in a hurry to get started. So I built up layers of wood filler until the notches were filled in.


Now can you see the "eyes"? Creepy.
After the wood filler was built up I sanded it smooth then put a coat of shellac on the cabinet. Next I applied two coats of Old Ochre. And guess what? My husband was right. The paint over the area with the wood filler cracked. Oops!

Oops.
Well there was no going back at this point, so I decided to give the entire front a subtle crackle finish. I applied a crackle medium to the entire front of the cabinet. Then after it dried I added another layer of Old Ochre to get an all over crackle effect. Is it perfect? No. But it's done. And done is better than perfect.



Well almost done. I still needed a hole drilled for the new knob. My husband took care of that for me. He also added a magnetic clasp on the inside of the door because it kept popping open. I started taking lots of photos of this process, but someone said something about "more help, less photos", so I'll leave it at that.


After

It was difficult to get my camera to focus on the crackle finish, but hopefully you can see it in some of the close ups.






Although it's not as perfect as I would like, it's still a nice solid cabinet and would pretty up whatever space it is used in. But next time I'll do a little more research on the best method before tackling a repair like this again.


Comments

Popular Posts