Vintage Art Deco Vanity and Dresser


I finished this project in early August but was having trouble finding a spot to photograph the set (it's getting a little cramped with furniture in my house!). Early August turned into late-August and here low and behold it was the last day of the month. I was determined to get this finished before September, so I did a bit of rearranging to squeeze the vanity and dresser together for a photo shoot yesterday. So I met that deadline, but then I reviewed the photos and the lighting wasn't good. So I did another photo shoot but still no luck. So this morning I moved the furniture to another location and took more photos. The "after" photos still aren't ideal, but done is better than perfect.

Before

4-drawer dresser.
I spotted the dresser in a thrift store and my husband spotted the matching vanity in another area of the same store. We were both shouting "you've got to see this!" and were super excited to see that they matched. We actually stopped in to look for a smaller item, i.e. nightstand or something, but I didn't want to pass these by, so we crammed them into the back of the SUV and brought them home. (We paid for them first, ha ha.)

5-drawer vanity.
Vanity mirror.
This set had seen better days,. The finish on the tops was in rough shape and the drawers aren't perfectly square although they open and close easily. The top on the dresser bows up slightly towards the front, but it doesn't impact the function and I think that adds to its vintage charm, so I didn't repair that. Since I chose a lighter color scheme I went ahead and give everything two coats of shellac and sanded the tops prior to painting. 
Damage to finish.
More damage to finish.
The tag on the back reads, "Elkin Furniture Co., Elkin, N.C."

After

I wanted a feminine color scheme of pink and white, but I didn't want it to scream, "Pink!", so I made a custom mix of Antoinette Pink (Annie Sloan Chalk Paint) to tone down the intensity of the pink and paired it with Old White. As I mentioned in the introduction I struggled with this photo shoot, and I don't think the photos actually capture the true pink color. It is a soft muted pink. Then after it was all said and done, I tucked the furniture back into a corner and took one last shot. I think this one shows the contrast better than the other photos.


Dresser

The dresser is painted in the custom pink with highlights of Old White. The inside bottoms of the drawers were sad looking, so I gave them a fresh coat of paint (ditto for the vanity). I applied light-to-medium distressing to accents its vintage charm.

The top is painted Old White and the base is painted in a soft pink.

Details are painted in white.

The drawers aren't completely square,
but they open and close easily.

Vanity

The vanity has a reverse color scheme. It is painted in Old White with accents in pink.

The tops on the side are painted Old White,
however, the center top is painted pink.

The front center piece isn't just decoration. It is also a drawer.

Legs.

More legs. 

Left vanity drawers.

Right vanity drawers.

Top.

The mirror is showing signs of age especially around the edges.
However, it still retains a good reflective quality
with less aging in the center area.
This photo shows the worst of the aging.
I love how the vanity chair pairs nicely with this set,
but I haven't decided whether to sell it as a group or not.

Well it took me a month, but I'll put this project in the books for now. I'm still not happy with the photos, but I need to let it gomove on. I put a few finishing touches on the twin pedestal desk and will post final photos of that project soon. Other than that I've been working on some home organization projects around the house. Which creates a bigger mess during the process, so I need to keep focused on that and get my house back in order. 

On a Personal Note

I finished up another 3 weeks of my walking program (10,000 steps per day) and have hit my target on most days. I was building up to 15,000 steps per day and hit that a few times, but it was a little more challenging than I initially thought it would be. Not physically challenging so much as time-wise. I've somewhat talked my husband into doing a Couch-to-5K with me. It's a 9 week program where you progressively build up to running a 5K. Well jogging really. More like a trot actually. He's been really busy though, so I'm not sure if we'll reach that goal. But it's sure worth a try especially with cooler autumn temperatures around the corner.




Comments

Popular Posts