Grandma's Table and Chairs


This table and chair set was passed down to my client from her grandmother. I should say our grandmother since my client is my sister! My sister asked me to paint the set for her. Since she lives out of town (she thinks I live out of town) I initially planned to spend a week in early August visiting and working on the set, but I had a scheduling conflict and had to cancel the trip. So instead we only had two days over the Labor Day weekend to get it done.

Before

Before
Luckily my sister and brother-in-law, Kathy and Jeff, were willing to help, and as they saying goes "many hands make light work". Well they probably wouldn't agree with "light" work; it was a lot of work especially with temperatures in the 90's and high humidity. But for me it was a lot of fun working with them. 

The table is solid wood and had a shiny veneer top. It also has two leaves which I painted as well. They don't actually use the leaves, but if they need to use them they are ready and waiting. The chairs were manufactured by S. Bent & Bros. and includes four chairs and two arm chairs. Do to the limited time frame we were working under, we focused on the 4 chairs and Kathy and Jeff will finish the remaining chairs on their own.



During

The kitchen was recently remodeled and my sister wanted to brighten the space with a painted set. She selected Old Ochre (Annie Sloan Chalk Paint) for the entire set. There was also a microwave cart which she wanted painted the same color. I was a little concerned that it might be too bland with all one color, but now that it's finished I will publicly admit she was right in her choice of color scheme.

Here's a few photos of us working. On Day 1 we applied two coats of paint to the table, leaves, chairs, and microwave cart. I applied a polyurethane to the table top and let it dry overnight. The rest of the pieces were sanded and soft waxed on Day 2. We also squeezed in a couple of parties, visiting, and card games.

Best helpers ever!
They're still smiling (sort of).
It was really hot outdoors.
One down three to go.
Me.
Paint drying.
I snapped a photo of Max while the paint was drying.
And a quick shot of Layla. She's a little shy,
but was sweet enough to pose for the photo.

After

I kept asking questions about how they wanted the finished product. Basically I was told they don't want it to look like brown wood, so anything I do is OK. Easiest clients ever. My sister did say she wanted a more vintage farmhouse look to the set, so I added some distressing which you can see in some of the photos.


Staged with a beautiful bouquet of flowers.
The chair pads coordinate nicely with the new color.
Light distressing was added to the edges to give it a naturally worn look.
I added distressing to the top of the chairs as well,
 but the camera didn't pick up the details.
I added distressing to the table edge, but left the top un-distressed.
I love the base of the table.
Another shot of the base.
This photo shows a little more clearly the worn look applied to the table's edge.
Almost forgot the microwave cart!
My sister is selecting new handles, so it's not quite finished.
I love the quality of the furniture produced by S. Bent & Bros.
Additional distressing applied to the backs of the chairs.
My beautiful Mom :-)

We wrapped up the project on Sunday and headed back home on Monday. I hope you got to enjoy the long Labor Day weekend as much as I did.

Shared with The Painted Drawer's Link Party.


Post a Comment

Popular Posts