Monday, June 1, 2015

Door Frame Re-purposed into Home Decor


My sister and brother-in-law have been working on a number of house projects lately and luckily they asked me if I wanted this door frame instead of putting it in the trash. Heck yeah!

Before.
Well that was last year and it's been sitting in my garage ever since. It was one of those projects that don't take up a lot of space, so it was easy to let it sit there. I finally decided it was time to move the project to the top of the list. 


Intense color straight out of the can. I love it!
I decided on a color scheme of Napoleonic Blue (Annie Sloan Chalk Paint) with subtle white highlights throughout and dark wax in the corners and crevices. To me this blue is a magically versatile color. It is so bright and intense when first painted. It dries a bit darker, but retains the bright hue especially depending on the light. It is said a picture paints a thousand words, so I tried to capture the in the photos below, but I'm not sure if my photographic abilities are up to the task. 

The color is less intense as it is sanded, and can easily be toned down further with dark wax or glaze. But what I really love is that the colors it can be paired with seem endless. It works well with the basics of course (white, black), but works great with colors such as lime green, cranberry, and bright pink. Conversely it also works very well with neutrals, creamy yellows, and soft pinks and greens. 
First coat of Napoleonic Blue -- bright and intense!
The color deepens as it dries.


After the painting both the front and back, I stapled a piece of burlap to the back of the door for a back drop. A hook was added to the front for displaying a wreath. I added hangers to the top corners, but it can also be easily rehung horizontally. 



I took the door to the booth and planned to hang it. However, my booth neighbor on the other side of the shared wall has shelves full of glass bottles and I was hesitant to start hammering in the nails. I plan to move it to another wall, but that will take a bit of rearranging and I was short on time, so I just propped it up against the wall for now.






 Here are a few indoor shots to illustrate the difference that lighting makes.






Post a Comment