Oval Mirror with Bow


I spotted this mirror in a thrift store and fell in love with it immediately (it had a great reflection -- of me! Ha ha, just kidding). It is oval with beveled glass and the frame is adorned with a charming bow at the top.

Before

Before.
The frame's original finish was gold with hints of black and red specks. There weren't any defects in either the mirrored glass or frame, but I decided to paint it to update the overall look and to highlight the bow. I almost forgot to shoot a "before" picture but remembered just before I started painting.

As you can see I already taped off where the mirror meets the frame. Which is actually a nice visual demonstration of how to tape off curves. Obviously it's a little more time consuming to tape a curve versus a straight line, but I timed myself and it took less than 3 minutes. Alternatively you could forego taping and and then use a razor blade to remove excess paint from the glass. However, that step can be time consuming in itself, plus if you plan to add a wax or other sealer then you're in for a big mess and heartache. Take the time and tape it off first; you won't be sorry.

Before - charming bow at the top of the frame.

After

I choose a color scheme of Paris Grey and Old White. I added light to medium distressing throughout the frame. I thought it still needed just a little something more, so I added minimal amounts of glaze throughout to add further dimension and character.

Color scheme: Paris Grey and Old White.
I've received a couple of inquiries about how to paint the details and decorative trim on furniture. So I took a few shots of the process on this piece and will post a short tutorial after I've had a chance to review the photos and make sure I was able to capture the process.

Light-to-medium distressing was added to the frame.

Hints of dark glaze were added to give the finish additional dimension.
I took the mirror to the booth last night, but forgot to bring tools to hang it. So I left it propped against the wall for now. Approximate dimensions 30" high x 19" wide x 1.5" deep.

I'll end the post with a wish for a Happy Mother's Day weekend to all the moms, step-moms, and caregivers reading this blog post. And even though I won't be able to visit with her -- a special wish to my Mom for a Happy Mother's Day. I love you Mom!


Comments

Popular Posts