Chest of Drawers

I picked up this gorgeous chest of drawers (circa 1930's) from a local auction. My local circle all said they liked it as-is, but although a picture paints a thousand words, looks can be deceiving and it doesn't always give a true indication of condition. As the saying goes, "seeing is believing". Let me explain. . .

Before

One knob is missing in the photo,
but it was inside the drawer when I picked it up.
The chest appears to be a circa 1930's, although it could be either a little earlier or later. It is a sturdy piece with a somewhat understated design. It was previously painted black, and the color did look stunning. It appears the paint was a latex that was applied with a sprayer. 

It looks great in the auction photo that I included here and you might be wondering why I would paint it. Well this is just a teaser photo to illustrate how looks can be deceiving in a photo. The auction house did provide close up shots, so I knew what I was getting into. In reality the paint was beginning to show signs of wear and tear. Overall the previous paint finish was nicely done and held up well over the years, but it was time for a new finish. 

I'm on the fence on whether or not the hardware was original to the piece and I'm leaning towards the latter, but who knows? I considered changing out the hardware, but one of my daughters said she liked the teardrop style, so I decided to keep them.

Close up of side panel. Notice the paint is chipping through normal wear and tear.

This was actually a nicely done paint finish,
but you can see some drip marks which I didn't like.
You can see the previous paint was beginning to deteriorate and chip.
Sanded off and ready for a new look!

During and After

I sanded off the paint on the top and corners.
I sanded off the black paint from the top of the chest, the drawer fronts, and any other areas where there were adhesion issues. Also, I didn't necessarily want the black to show through on the front when I distressed the piece. However,  I only did a light sanding on the side panels so that some of the black would show through in this area during the distressing process. (Unfortunately the distressing on the sides doesn't show too well in my photos.)

I also sanded the drawer fronts.
Here's a close up of the "before" hardware.
You can also see some dents and dings in the wood.
This was smoothed out during sanding. 
I chose a color scheme of Old White and Paris Grey. I added light distressing to the front and edges, and a medium distressing on the side panels. Now the chest has a more feminine look without being overly fussy.

Old White and Paris Grey.
Isn't the ceramic statue beautiful? I decided to use her for the photo shoot, but she is not for sale. Unless someone offers me a million dollars and then I might consider selling it. But the answer would still probably be "no". My grandma painted it back in 1978.  :-)

Another view with the beautiful ceramic lady.
The original key is long gone. I have a set of skeleton keys,
but haven't found the right fit yet.
Light distressing around the edges.
Close up of painted hardware.
Sturdy serpentine legs in front.
Side view.
I lightly aged the top.
The chest has 4 drawers with plenty of room for storage. The top drawer is 4.25" deep, the second is the deepest at 10.25", and the bottom two drawers are approximately 7.25" deep. I cleaned and refinished the inside of each of the drawers. Dimensions of the chest are 47" high x 36" wide x 20" deep. The back piece adds another 3.25" in overall height, and the supports in the back add another inch to the depth.

Top drawer.
Deep drawer offers plenty of storage. 
Bottom drawer.
Below is another view of the front leg. Notice the framed print in the background? It is one of two Cherry Jeffe Huldah prints that I picked up recently. They are just so pretty that I haven't been able to take them to the booth yet!
Another view of the serpentine leg.
Finished and ready for a new home.
So all-in-all this piece has a whole new look and a second chance. I am letting the wax cure for a few days before taking it to the booth. If you've made it this far then I thank you for reading and hope you have a fabulous week. 
Post a Comment

Popular Posts