Lovely Dresser and Nightstand



This set includes a 5-drawer dresser and a 2-drawer nightstand. The details of the furniture were somewhat hidden by the original dark finish, in fact I didn't notice all the details myself until I actually started working on them. For instance, I initially planned to replace the hardware on the top three drawers of the dresser, but as I was removing the hardware I began to notice the lovely details. So I decided to keep the original hardware and moved forward with the project.

Before

We had a couple of days of above normal temperatures (unbelievable in February!) so I was in a hurry to get outside to work on refinishing both pieces. I was in so much of a hurry that I almost forgot to take "before" pictures. So I snapped a few shots just before I got to work.

Before - drawers
Before - dresser
Before - nightstand
Ready for a new look! The snow is melting :-)
Structurally both pieces are in great condition and neither required any repairs. There were some rough spots on the tops of each piece, so I used my orbital sander to smooth out the finish, and scrubbed off layers of dirt and grime prior to painting. 

After

I added light to medium distressing throughout to accentuate the details and to give the set an heirloom look. The new finish reminds me of a set that might have been passed down from generation to generation. They are finished in Old White which is an ivory-ish white that works wonderfully with a variety of color schemes. The set would work well for any age group. In fact, it would be an extremely economical choice for a newborn, as the classic finish on the furniture would last through the teen years and into adulthood. Alternatively, I think it would also make a great fit for a guest room needing storage. Which is exactly where this set will go if they don't sell -- my guestroom! But I plan to take the set to the booth in the next week or so to see if they sell first before keeping them to myself. I'll leave you with photos of both the nightstand and dresser. Enjoy the weekend and I hope you have a happy Valentine's Day. 

Nightstand

After
Top
Two drawers


Close up of hardware


So curvy and elegant.

Dresser

Five drawers.
Top
Lovely details on drawers.


Close up of hardware.
Plenty of storage.
So pretty!
Bottom





Post a Comment

Popular Posts