Small Vintage Cigar Table (SOLD)


Small Vintage Table.
See below for more pictures.

This vintage cigar table was originally produced as a humidor to provide airtight storage to keep cigars or tobacco moist. (I cannot detect any tobacco or smoke odors). When I obtained the piece it had about 3 different coats of paint some of which were already partially removed. I completely stripped the exterior and repainted it in ASCP Graphite Black. Hand waxed and buffed to add a smooth durable finish.

The interior has a metal lining which at some point was painted yellow. I did not attempt to strip the yellow as I wasn't sure if that would damage the metal or not. Instead I applied a dark wax to give it an aged look, but I wasn't happy with the result. I felt it looked dirty and didn't feel it complimented the exterior color, so I repainted the interior in a contrasting red.

The original hardware remains intact. This piece is very versatile and can be used in a foyer, a gentleman's study, as a side table in the living room, or as a bedside table.

The overall condition is good, nevertheless it is a vintage piece and has some wear on the top from use over the years (see photos below). In my opinion this does not distract from its beauty but rather adds to its charm. The door is in good working order and requires a slight tug to open/close in order keep the inside airtight as it was designed.

It measures approximately 18" wide x 28" high x 13 1/4" deep.

Based on the look and feel of the wood, craftsmanship, and hardware I would date this piece circa 1920s or 1930s. Please leave a comment if you can date it more precisely.

It is available for sale at The Lebanon Peddler's Mall, ROW 5, BOOTH #139. Credit cards accepted.

Lebanon Peddler's Mall, 920 Columbus Avenue, Lebanon Ohio
Monday-Saturday 10:00 am- 8:00 pm
Sundays 12:00 pm- 6:00 pm

Before
After
Interior: After -- much better!

Interior Before. Ugh!




Small spindle legs



Large spindle

I love the hardware because it is unique.
The top with a hint of red peeking through.
Close up of top to show some of the wear.

Close up of detailing.

I almost forgot to get a close up of the feet before I took the table to the booth.
Another view of the door and the hardware.
Close up of the hardware.

Comments

Popular Posts